Music Issue extra: Cubs Countdown
Perhaps the next Wrigleyville Block Party, Aug. 19-21, could play this Cubs Countdown of top hits. (Photo by David Banks)
In honor of Vine Line‘s first-ever Music Issue this month, we thought it would be fun to see what the Billboard Top 100’s number 1 song was at the time of some of your favorite Cubs players’ births:
- When Darwin Barney was born on Nov. 8, 1985, the country was jamming to “Part-Time Lover” by Stevie Wonder.
- “Southern Nights” by Glen Campbell was the number 1 song when Ryan Dempster, whose birthday is May 3, 1977, made his first appearance in the world.
- “Best of My Love” by The Emotions was the Billboard Top 100’s number 1 song on Aug. 30, 1977, when Marlon Byrd was born.
- When Jeff Samardzija was born on Jan. 23, 1985, “Like a Virgin” by Madonna was the most popular song cruising through the airwaves.
Here are some more of the No. 1 songs on Cubs players’ birthdays:
- Blake DeWitt, Aug. 20, 1985- “Shout” by Tears for Fears
- Reed Johnson, Dec. 8, 1976- “Tonight’s the Night” by Rod Stewart
- Casey Coleman, July 3, 1987- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston
- Mike Quade, March 12, 1957- “You Don’t Owe Me a Thing” by Johnnie Ray
- Sean Marshall, Aug. 30, 1982- “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor