Cubs minor league recap: 4/4/13
Matt Szczur recorded three hits Thursday night. (Photo by Stephen Green)
All four Cubs minor league squads struggled in their Thursday debuts, resulting in a quartet of losses. Despite the problems on the scoreboard, here are the Cubs highlights from last night’s action:
IOWA CUBS (0-1)
Iowa allowed seven runs in the seventh inning and dropped its season opener at Albuquerque, 10-3.
- 1B Brian Bogusevic went 3-for-5 with a run and an RBI in his Iowa debut.
- LF Ty Wright (2-for-4) had two hits, including a two-out RBI in the fifth, scoring Bogusevic.
- C J.C. Boscan had two singles in a 2-for-4 outing.
- RHP Rafael Dolis tossed a scoreless eighth inning, retiring the side in order with three groundouts.
TENNESSEE SMOKIES (0-1)
Tennessee jumped ahead in the third inning but fell 7-3 on the road at Pensacola in their season opener.
- LF Matt Szczur went 3-for-4 from the leadoff spot with a run scored.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara went 2-for-3 with a two-run homer that put the Smokies ahead in the third inning. He finished with a walk, one run scored, three RBI and a stolen base.
- RHP A.J. Morris allowed one hit and a run in 1.2 innings of work. He struck out two while walking one.
DAYTONA CUBS (0-1)
The D-Cubs fell in their home opener 4-3 to Brevard County after giving up two runs in the seventh inning.
- RF Jorge Soler got off to a fast start going 2-for-4 in the opener.
- SS Javier Baez (0-for-3) recorded an RBI on a sacrifice fly in the first inning.
- 3B Tim Saunders (1-for-4, R, RBI, SB) registered a double in the opening frame
- 2B Stephen Bruno also doubled, going 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa held the Manatees scoreless, allowing two hits in 2.1 innings of work with two strikeouts.
KANE COUNTY COUGARS (0-1)
Kane County dropped a 7-2 decision to the visiting Quad Cities River Bandits in the team’s first game as a Cubs affiliate.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- DH Rock Shoulders notched the team’s only home run with a two-run blast to right in the fourth inning.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis allowed no hits and no runs in 1.1 IP while striking out one
- RHP Eduardo Orozco added a scoreless inning, striking out one and walking one while allowing no hits.