Cubs minor league recap: 4/10/13
Blake Parker became the Iowa Cubs’ all-time saves leader Wednesday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Iowa Cubs ended a six-game losing streak to rack up their first win of the season, while Tennessee, Daytona and Kane Count all lost on Wednesday. Here are some highlights from Wednesday’s action:
IOWA CUBS (1-6)
Iowa won its first game of the season, scoring three runs in the fifth inning to beat host Round Rock, 3-2.
- C Luis Flores (.250 AVG) went 1-for-4 with a solo home run in the fifth inning.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.438) recorded his third multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-5.
- 3B Edwin Maysonet (.273) chipped in with two hits, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and a stolen base (1).
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (0.00 ERA) tossed 2.2 scoreless innings of relief, striking out two. He hasn’t allowed a run in 4.2 innings of relief this season.
- RHP Blake Parker (4.50) became the franchise’s all-time saves leader, tossing 1.1-scoreless innings to notch his 35th career save with Iowa.
TENNESSEE SMOKIES (2-4)
Tennessee lost its third game in a row, dropping a 6-2 decision to visiting Chattanooga.
- 1B Justin Bour (.190) clubbed his first homer of the season, going 1-for-2 with two walks and the clout. He recorded a team-high 17 home runs last season.
- CF Rubi Silva (.235) went 2-for-4 with a double and a stolen base (2).
- RHP Frank Batista (0.00) allowed two hits while striking out one in 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
DAYTONA CUBS (3-3)
Visiting Clearwater scored five runs in the 11th inning to defeat Daytona, 14-9.
- DH-CF Zeke DeVoss (.308) went 2-for-6, homering for the second straight game … he has hit safely in five of his first six games this season.
- CF-RF John Andreoli (.478) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 3-for-6 with a double.
- 3B Dustin Geiger (.158) and LF Taiwan Easterling (.250) each clubbed their first home runs of the campaign.
- RHP Ryan Searle (0.00) struck out four in 3.2-scoreless innings of relief. He has not allowed a run in 8.1 innings this season.
KANE COUNTY COUGARS (2-5)
Kane County had its two-game winning streak snapped in a 10-4 loss to visiting Clinton.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.467) went 2-for-5, extending his hitting streak to seven games. He has recorded two or more hits in five-straight games.
- RF-P Bijan Rademacher (.316) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and two runs scored. He also pitched the ninth inning, allowing an unearned run on three walks.
- CF Trey Martin (.133) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a double and a team-high two RBI (2).
- LHP Nathan Dorris (1.42) struck out five hitters in 4.0-scoreless innings of relief.