Cubs minor league recap: 4/16/13
Daytona pitcher Ryan Searle was named the FSL’s pitcher of the week. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Daytona captured its sixth win of the season, while Iowa and Tennessee both squandered sizable leads Monday. Kane County was once again rained out. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader Tuesday afternoon. The Cougars have been postponed four of the last five days. Here are the highlights from Monday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (3-9)
Iowa led 4-0 after three innings, but surrendered eight unanswered runs, dropping an 11-5 decision to visiting Albuquerque.
- 2B Darwin Barney (.500 AVG) went 4-for-5 with a double (1) and two runs scored in the third game of a rehabilitation assignment.
- LF Ryan Sweeney (.387) went 2-for-4 with a three-run homer in the third inning.
- CF Brett Jackson (.244) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a run and a stolen base (3).
Tennessee Smokies (5-6)
Tennessee couldn’t hold a 7-3 eighth-inning lead, falling to host Huntsville 8-7 in walk-off fashion.
- CF Rubi Silva (.394) went 3-for-4 with a double (3), a homer, two runs scored, a team-high four RBI (7) and an outfield assist.
- OF Jae-Hoon Ha (.368) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks, a double (3), a run scored and an RBI (7).
- 2B Jonathan Mota (.269) added two hits, going 2-for-4.
Daytona Cubs (6-5)
Daytona won its second game in a row, using a 13-hit attack to topple host Clearwater 8-1.
- RHP Ben Wells (1-0) tossed six scoreless innings, striking out four to earn the win.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.395) went 2-for-4 with a double (5) and a run scored. He extended his hitting streak to nine games (.432), including seven multi-hit affairs.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.233) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a triple (2), three RBI (10) and a stolen base (5).
- RF John Andreoli (.341) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored.
- DH Ben Carhart (.244) went 3-for-4 with a double (3), two runs scored and an RBI (6).
- 3B David Bote (.286) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (1), two runs scored and two RBI (2).
- RHP Ryan Searle (1-0, 0.00 ERA) was named Florida State League Pitcher of the Week for the week ending April 14. He made two appearances out of the bullpen during the week, tossing 8.1 shutout innings (3 H, 1 BB, 10 K). He leads the league in WHIP (0.48) and boasts the third-lowest batting average against (.107).