Cubs minor league recap: 4/16/13
Javier Baez blasted his second homer of the season and recorded a stolen base Tuesday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa and Tennessee both defeated their opponents Tuesday, while Daytona struggled to overcome a nine-run deficit. The Kane County Cougars tallied one win and one loss in a doubleheader after rain postponed their Monday game. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
IOWA CUBS (4-9)
Despite being outhit 10-3, Iowa silenced the visiting Nashville Sounds with a 4-1 victory.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.382) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a triple (1) and an RBI (8).
- C J.C. Boscan (.391) went 1-for-3 with a double (3) and a team-high two RBI (4). He’s hit safely in six of his first seven games to begin the season.
- LHP Brooks Raley tossed his second-straight quality start. He’s holding left-handed hitters to a .182 batting average (4-for-22).
TENNESSEE SMOKIES (6-6)
Tennessee hit three home runs, toppling host Huntsville 4-3.
- RF Rubi Silva (.405) clubbed his team-leading third homer. He finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a home run and one RBI (8).
- 1B Justin Bour (.186) went 2-for-4 with a home run and an RBI (10).
- CF Matt Szczur (.304) went 2-for-3 with a home run and a stolen base (6). He’s hitting .333 (12-for-36) against right-handed pitching.
- RHP Frank Batista (1.42) converted his second-straight save despite allowing a run in the ninth inning.
DAYTONA CUBS (6-6)
Clearwater collected 27 hits and scored in every inning, defeating visiting Daytona, 15-6.
- SS Javier Baez (.173) belted his second home run of the season, a solo shot in the third inning. He finished 1-for-5 with the homer and a stolen base (2).
- RF John Andreoli (.364) and DH Dustin Geiger (.310) collected two hits apiece.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.422) extended his hitting streak to 10 games, going 2-for-2 with two walks, a run scored and a double (6). He’s batting .462 (18-for-39) during the streak.
KANE COUNTY COUGARS (4-7)
Game 1: Kane County plated four runs over the final two innings, defeating host Beloit 4-3 in the first game of a doubleheader.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.244) recorded his fourth multihit game of the campaign, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- 1B Daniel Vogelbach (.302) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI (6).
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (1-1, 1.00) earned his first win of the season, tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief and fanning three.
Game 2: Beloit scored seven runs in the second inning, racing past the Cougars, 8-3.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.200) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (2) and a stolen base (3).
- LF Wes Darvill (.348) and RF Bijan Rademacher (.360) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Steve Perakslis (11.37) and LHP Nathan Dorris (1.23) combined for 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.