Cubs minor league recap: 4/17/13
Smokies shortstop Arismendy Alcantara leads the Southern League in stolen bases. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
While rain kept Iowa and Kane County from taking the field, Tennessee and Daytona both captured a win Wednesday. The Smokies have won five of their last six games. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
TENNESSEE SMOKIES (7-6)
Christian Villanueva hit a three-run homer in the sixth to break a scoreless tie and carry Tennessee to a 4-1 victory over host Huntsville.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.225) went 1-for-3 with a walk and the three-run blast to left field, his first of the season.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.231) stole a season-high four bases, tying teammate Matt Sczcur for the most stolen bases in the Southern League (six). Alcantara went 1-for-1 with three walks, a run scored and the four stolen bases.
- LF Rubi Silva (.390) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to six games (.522) with a sixth-inning single.
- LHP Eric Jokisch extended his season-opening, quality-start streak to three games. He has pitched 6.0 innings while allowing four hits or less in each start.
- RHP Brian Schlitter walked two and allowed one unearned run in 1.0 inning of relief. He has not allowed an earned run in his first five appearances (5.2 IP).
DAYTONA CUBS (7-6)
Daytona exploded for 11 runs late (five in the seventh and six in the eighth), cruising to a 13-2 victory at Clearwater.
- SS Javier Baez (.207) homered for the second consecutive game, this time clubbing a two-run shot in the eighth inning. He finished 3-for-6 with the homer, three runs and two RBI.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.340) extended his hitting streak to 10 games (.390) with a second-inning single. He went 3-for-5 with a homer, two runs and four RBI (13).
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.408) extended his hitting streak to 11 games, going 1-for-4 with two runs scored and a RBI. He’s batting .442 (19-for-43) during the streak.
- LHP Austin Kirk (5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 4 SO) earned the win in relief, improving to 2-0 with a 1.38 ERA (2 ER/13.0 IP).
- Daytona walked a season-high 11 times. CF Zeke DeVoss, LF Taiwan Easterling and RF John Andreoli walked three times apiece and SS David Bote walked twice.