Cubs minor league recap: 4/18/13
Trey McNutt earned a win in relief for the Smokies Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee claimed its third-straight win in extra-innings while Daytona and Kane County both fell short Thursday. Iowa’s matchup was postponed due to rain for the second consecutive day. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
TENNESSEE SMOKIES (8-6)
Tennessee scored two runs in the 11th inning, winning its third straight game at Huntsville, 5-3. Tennessee has won six of its last seven games.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.268) went 3-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and a stolen base, his Southern League-leading seventh stolen base of the season.
- 1B Justin Bour (.208) walked three times and drove in three runs as part of a 1-for-3 performance.
- LF Jae-Hoon Ha (.340) scored twice and went 1-for-4 with two walks. His .340 batting average ranks second on the team (Ronald Torreyes, .385).
- RHP Trey McNutt (2.0 IP, H, BB) earned the win in relief and RHP Frank Batista (1.0 IP, H) converted his third save of the season.
DAYTONA CUBS (7-7)
Daytona fell to visiting Tampa, 13-7, in a back-and-forth, high-scoring affair. The two teams combined for 28 hits and 15 walks on the evening.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.408) extended his hitting streak to 12 games, going 2-for-5 with a run scored and a RBI. He’s batting .438 (21-for-48) during the streak, including nine multi-hit affairs.
- C Chad Noble (.323) went 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored, extending his hitting streak to five games (.421 during streak).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.327) extended his hitting streak to 11 games (.370 during streak) with a third-inning single. He finished 1-for-5 with a run and a RBI.
- SS Javier Baez (.226) recorded two hits, a run scored and a RBI in four at-bats (2-for-4).
- RF Jorge Soler (.423) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored in his first game back from suspension.
KANE COUNTY COUGARS (4-8)
Quad Cities scored a run in the 10th inning to claim a 9-8 victory over host Kane County. The game marked the Cougars’ sixth extra-inning affair in 12 games to start the season (2-4 record in extras).
- C Wilson Contreras (2-for-4, HR, R, 3 RBI, BB) homered to left field in the second inning to start the scoring for Kane County, raising his average to .360 (9-for-25).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.250) recorded his first three-hit game of the season in a 3-for-5 effort that included a run scored and a RBI.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.240) went 2-for-5 with two runs and two doubles, marking his first two extra-base hit game of the season.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.292) extended his hitting streak to five games (.412 during streak) with a second-inning double. He finished 2-for-5 with a RBI.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.294) scored a run, knocked in a run and went 2-for-5.