Cubs minor league recap: 4/21/13
Jorge Soler went 1-for-4 Sunday, extending his hitting streak to 10 games. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Kane County Cougars beat out their opponents in a narrow victory Sunday, while Tennessee had its five-game win streak snapped in extra-innings. Iowa and Daytona also lost after struggling to get the offensive running. Here are the highlights from yesterday’s action:
IOWA CUBS (5-11)
Memphis scored the only run of the game on a walk-off single in the ninth inning to defeat visiting Iowa, 1-0.
- RHP Drew Carpenter (1-2) struck out six and allowed two hits in 5.2 scoreless innings.
- OF Brian Bogusevic (.380) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.500/11-for-22), going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.385) extended his hitting streak to eight games (.357/10-for-28) with a second-inning single (1-for-4).
- LHP Hisanori Takahashi threw 1.1 hitless innings while striking out one in his first appearance with Iowa.
TENNESSEE SMOKIES (10-7)
Tennessee’s five-game winning streak was snapped in a 9-6, 11-inning loss vs. visiting Montgomery.
- RF Matt Szczur (.299) went 1-for-4 with two walks, a run scored and two RBI (12).
- 2B Anthony Giansanti (.400) made his first start of the season, going 2-for-2 with a walk, a double (1) and a run scored.
- CF Rubi Silva (.333) recorded his second-consecutive, multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a double (4), a run scored and a RBI (10).
- RHP Trey McNutt tossed 2.0 hitless innings, striking out one. He has held the opposition scoreless in five of six appearances this season.
DAYTONA CUBS (7-10)
Daytona allowed five runs in the first three innings and only managed two hits on offense in a 9-1 setback at Dunedin.
- IF Tim Saunders (.259) went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- RF Jorge Soler (.378) extended his season-opening hitting streak to 10 games (14-for-37), going 1-for-4.
- RHP David Cales threw 2.0-scoreless innings, striking out three batters and allowing one hit in his first appearance of the season with Daytona.
KANE COUNTY COUGARS (7-8)
Kane County allowed six runs in the sixth inning, but the Cougars pulled out a 7-6 victory over visiting Peoria.
- CF Trey Martin (.219) recorded his first multi-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a double (2), two runs scored and a RBI (5).
- DH Rock Shoulders (.424) extended his hitting streak to six games (.476/10-for-21), going 2-for-4 with a double (4) and a run scored. It marked his third-straight, multi-hit game.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.175) went 2-for-4 with a double (1), a run scored and two RBI (3).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.311) walked, scored a run and stole his first base of the season.