Cubs minor league recap: 4/23/13
Jae-Hoon Ha continued his hot start Monday. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all earned victories Monday while errors led to Kane County’s demise. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (6-11)
Iowa defeated Memphis 5-2 in the third game of a four-game set.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.389 AVG) extended his hitting streak to eight games (.500/13-for-26), going 2-for-4 with a double (4), a run scored and an RBI (5).
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.372) extended his hitting streak to nine games (.344/11-for-32) with a third inning single (1-for-4).
- 3B Ian Stewart (.100) went 1-for-3 with a double (1), a run and two RBI (3) in the sixth game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.193) hit his third home run of the season, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI (11).
Tennessee Smokies (11-7)
Tennessee scored five runs in the sixth inning to break open a 2-2 tie and defeat Montgomery, 8-3.
- DH Arismendy Alcantara (.288) went 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored, two RBI (13) and two stolen bases (10). He leads the Southern League with 10 stolen bases.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.306) walked, doubled and scored two runs in three at-bats.
- LHP Eric Jokisch (3-0) now ranks fourth in the Southern League in ERA (1.11, 3 ER/24.1 IP) among starting pitchers with at least three starts.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 K) has not allowed an earned run in seven appearances (10.1 IP) this season.
Daytona Cubs (8-10)
Daytona jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two innings and held on for a 7-4 victory over Dunedin, snapping a four-game skid.
- SS Javier Baez (.234) recorded his second three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-5 with a double (4), two runs scored and an RBI (10).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.304) went 3-for-5 with three RBI (18). His 18 RBI lead the team.
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (2.2 IP, 1 BB, 2 K) converted his first save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (7-9)
Kane County committed two errors that led to four unearned runs in a 9-6 setback to visiting Peoria.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.323) blasted his second home run of the season and drove in a second run with a sacrifice fly as part of a 2-for-4 outing.
- SS Marco Hernandez went 2-for-4 with two doubles (4) and two RBI (8), his first two extra-base hit game of the season.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.410) saw his six-game hitting streak snapped (0-for-2), but he reached base three times via walks and scored a run.