Cubs minor league recap: 4/23/13
Jonathan Mota has recorded five RBI in his last three games. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all collected a loss Tuesday while Kane County’s game was postponed due to rain. Despite the scoreboard setbacks, here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (6-12)
Iowa recorded only four hits and committed two errors in a 4-1 setback at Memphis.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.379) extended his hitting streak to nine game (.467/14-for-30), going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.362) extended his hitting streak to ten games (.333/12-for-36) with a fifth-inning single (1-for-4).
- RHP Casey Coleman (1.0 IP, 3 K) struck out the side in the eighth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (11-8)
Tennessee led 3-1 heading into the ninth, but Montgomery tallied three runs to claim a 4-3 victory.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.235) went 2-for-4 with a home run (1), a double (2), a run scored and two RBI (8). He has five RBI in his last three games.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.224) collected two singles in four at-bats.
- LF Johermyn Chavez (.233) went 2-for-3 with a double (4) and a run scored. He is hitting .417 (5-for-12) with three doubles, three runs and three RBI in the last three games.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks recorded season-bests in innings pitched (7.0), strikeouts (9) and hits allowed (3).
Daytona Cubs (8-11)
Daytona was shut out for the first time this season in a 3-0 loss at Dunedin.
- RHP P.J. Francescon (1-2) was given the loss, despite surrendering one run over five innings, striking out four.
- DH Ben Carhart (.254) went 2-for-3 with a double (5).
- LF John Andreoli (.333) went 1-for-3. His batting average ranks second on the team through the first 19 games (Stephen Bruno, .355).
- LHP Frank Del Valle struck out four batters in 1.2-scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (7-9)
Kane County’s game vs. Peoria was postponed due to rain. The teams will make up the game as part of a day-night doubleheader May 16.
- INF/DH Rock Shoulders was named Midwest League Hitter of the Week for games played April 15-21, hitting .475 (10-for-21) with two home runs and five RBI in six games during the period.