Cubs minor league recap: 4/24/13
Matt Szczur leads the Southern League in runs scored. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa, Daytona and Kane County were all off Wednesday, while Tennessee’s late-innings comeback was stopped short. Here are the highlights from last night’s Smokies game:
Tennessee Smokies (11-9)
Tennessee scored a run in the bottom of the ninth inning and had the winning run at the plate, but lost 5-4 to visiting Montgomery.
- RHP Matt Loosen (0-0) went 4.2 innings, striking out three and surrendered two earned runs.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.288) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a double (2), an RBI (14) and a stolen base (12). He leads the Southern League in stolen bases (12) and has not yet been caught stealing.
- 1B Ty Wright (.222) singled, doubled and knocked in two runs in four at-bats in his second game with Tennessee after starting the season at Iowa.
- RF Matt Szczur (.295) went 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. He has scored a run in 15 of 20 games this season and leads the Southern League with 20 runs.
- C Rafael Lopez (.186) extended his hitting streak to four games (.417/5-for-12) with a fifth-inning double (4). He went 1-for-2 with two walks.