Cubs minor league recap: 4/25/13
Esmailin Caridad tallied his first win in relief for the I-Cubs Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all secured wins while Kane County couldn’t overcome an early deficit. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (7-12)
Iowa scored six runs in the first inning, defeating Omaha 9-3 in the opener of a four-game set. The nine runs scored mark a season high for the I-Cubs.
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.404) extended his hitting streak to 11 games (.390/16-for-41) with a three-run homer in the first inning. He went 4-for-5 with a walk, a triple (2), two runs and four RBI (12), finishing a double shy of the cycle.
- LF Brent Lillibridge (.462) went 4-for-5 with a walk and two RBI (2).
- 3B Ian Stewart (.111) singled and scored a run as part of a 1-for-3 outing in the eighth game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- DH Darnell McDonald (.204) went 2-for-5 with a double (2), two runs and a RBI (5).
- RHP Esmailin Caridad (2.1 IP, 2 BB, 3 K) earned his first win of the season in relief of starter Barret Loux.
Tennessee Smokies (12-9)
Tennessee defeated Pensacola 2-1 in a pitchers’ duel, moving into a first-place tie in the Southern League North Division.
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.344) recorded half of the Smokies hits, going 3-for-3 with a double (2), a triple (1) and a run scored.
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (.297) went 1-for-4, recording his 10th RBI of the season.
- RHP Dallas Beeler tossed 7.0 innings for the second consecutive start, allowing no runs for the first time this season.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.0 IP, 1 K) converted his first save of the season. He has made eight appearances (11.1 IP) without allowing an earned run.
Daytona Cubs (9-11)
Daytona jumped to a 4-0 lead after two innings and held on for a 5-3 victory over visiting Lakeland in the opener of a three-game home series.
- SS Javier Baez (.238) blasted his fourth home run of the season in the first inning. He finished 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (11).
- C Chad Noble (.295) hit his first home of the year, a solo shot to left in the second inning. He went 2-for-3 with a run scored and a RBI (3).
- RHP David Cales (2.0 IP, 2 BB, 4 K) converted his first save of the year. He has allowed no runs and one hit in two appearances (4.0 IP) to start the season.
Kane County Cougars (7-10)
Kane County allowed five runs in the third inning in a 6-4 setback at Fort Wayne.
- RF Bijan Radenmacher (.314) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (6).
- CF Oliver Zapata (.220) hit a two-run double in the eighth inning, finishing 1-for-4.
- RHP Justin Amlung (1.0 IP, 2 K) and RHP Stephen Perakslis (1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 K) combined for 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.