Cubs minor league recap: 4/29/13
In eight games, RHP Blake Parker has held right-handed hitters to a .059 average. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Daytona captured a win in a rain-shortened game Monday while Iowa fell short despite an offensive outburst. Tennessee walked away from its doubleheader with a win and a loss, but Kane County struggled to collect a victory in its back-to-back matchup. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (8-15)
Iowa dropped a 10-9 decision to visiting Round Rock even though eight different I-Cubs collected a hit. The two teams combined for 19 runs, 24 hits and four home runs.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.403) extended his hitting streak to 10 games, going 1-for-5 with a RBI (9). He’s hitting .444 (16-for-36) during that stretch.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.224) went 4-for-5 with two runs scored, two doubles (3) and three RBI (17). The four hits and three RBI marked season highs.
- DH Brett Jackson (.233) homered for the second-consecutive game, going 1-for-4 with a walk, the home run and two RBI (9). Jackson did not homer in his first 16 games prior to April 28′s blast.
- SS Logan Watkins (.263) recorded his third-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and a RBI (5).
- RF Ryan Sweeney (.377) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. He is hitting .396 (19-for-48) against right-handed pitchers.
- 3B Ian Stewart (.111) went 1-for-4 with a walk in the 11th game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- RHP Blake Parker (2.70) worked a scoreless ninth frame. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .059 batting average (1-for-17) through eight appearances.
Tennessee Smokies (14-10)
Game 1: Tennessee managed just two hits in a 3-0 loss vs. Pensacola in the first game of a doubleheader.
- CF Matt Szczur (.294) went 1-for-3, extending his hitting streak to 10 games. He’s hitting .324 (12-for-37) with a home run and five RBI during the streak.
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.333) went 1-for-3 with a stolen base (1).
- RHP Frank Batista (0.90 ERA) and RHP Tony Zych (3.09) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief. Batista is holding right-handed hitters to a .143 batting average (3-for-21) while Zych is limiting righties to a .185 mark (5-for-27).
Game 2: Tennessee’s Jae-Hoon Ha hit a pinch-hit, walk-off, three-run home run to beat Pensacola 3-0 in the nightcap.
- PH Ha (.313) recorded a season-high three RBI (13) with the walk-off blast. The clout snapped a 23-game homerless drought.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks (3.12) received a no-decision despite tossing 6.0-scoreless innings. He owns a 0.69 ERA (1 ER/13.0 IP) in his last two starts.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (1-0, 2.79) fired a scoreless inning of relief while striking out two, earning his first win of the season.
Daytona Cubs (12-12)
Daytona earned a 2-1, rain-shortened victory over visiting Palm Beach. The game was called in the eighth inning due to heavy rain.
- DH Dustin Geiger (.314) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 1-for-2 with a walk, a home run and one RBI (22).
- LF John Andreoli (.322) went 1-for-4 with one RBI (11). He’s reached base safely in 10 straight games.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.291) went 1-for-3 with a double (7). He is hitting .385 (10-for-26) with runners in scoring position.
- RHP Yeiper Castillo (3.86) struck out a season-high eight batters. He’s allowed just three hits and no runs in his last five outings (9.0 IP).
- LHP Hunter Cervenka (1-0, 2.31) earned his first win of the season, allowing one run on one hit while striking out four in two innings of relief.
- SS Javier Baez was named Florida State League Player of the Week for the week of April 22-28. He batted .435 (10-for-23) with two home runs and three doubles while slugging .826.
Kane County Cougars (8-13)
Game 1: Kane County surrendered five runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, falling 7-6 to Lake County in the first game of a doubleheader.
- 1B Daniel Vogelbach (.288) clubbed his third homer of the season, going 1-for-4 with the clout and two RBI (11).
- DH Rock Shoulders (.384) blasted his team-leading fifth home run of the campaign. He finished 1-for-3 with the bomb and two RBI (15).
- C Willson Contreras (.310) recorded his fourth multi-hit game of the campaign, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a stolen base (2).
Game 2: Lake County completed the doubleheader sweep of the Cougars with a 4-2 victory.
- 1B Daniel Vogelbach (.289) went 1-for-3 with one RBI (12) while hitting his second home run of the day.
- CF Oliver Zapata (.250) went 1-for-1 with a walk and one stolen base (5).
- RHP Steve Perakslis (7.59) hurled a scoreless inning of relief. Lead-off hitters are just 1-for-10 (.100) against him.