Cubs minor league recap: 5/1/13
Second baseman Logan Watkins recorded his fourth multi-hit game in five days with the I-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee and Kane County both secured a win Wednesday while Iowa and Daytona struggled to find power at the plate. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (9-16)
Iowa mustered only four hits in a 1-0 setback vs. visiting Round Rock.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.279) went 3-for-3 with a double and a walk, reaching base all four times. He recorded his fourth multi-hit game in five days (.450/9-for-20).
- DH Ryan Sweeney (.351) went 1-for-4 and has hit safely in 17 of 21 games this season.
- 3B Ian Stewart (.091) went 0-for-4 in the 13th game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- LHP Chris Rusin struck out a season-best five batters in 7.0 innings, tying his longest outing of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (14-11)
Tennessee fell 3-0 in a rain-shortened, 5.0-inning game at Mississippi.
- RHP Matt Garza threw 42 pitches (25 strikes), facing 10 batters in his first rehab start with Tennessee. He collected six groundouts, a flyout, walked two and allowed a single.
- LF Rubi Silva (.298) went 1-for-2 with a single.
- C Rafael Lopez (.208) collected a base hit for the seventh time in eight games.
Daytona Cubs (14-12)
Daytona defeated Palm Beach 3-1, completing a four-game sweep of the Cardinals. The D-Cubs have won six of their last seven games.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.312) registered his third multi-RBI game in four days, going 2-for-3 with a run scored, two doubles (10) and two RBI (15). He extended his hitting streak to seven games (.520/13-for-25).
- 2B Tony Giansanti (.296) went 2-for-3 with a RBI (3) in his first start at second base this season.
- RF Jorge Soler (.275) doubled (5), stole a base (2) and scored a run as part of a 1-for-3 outing.
- RHP Ben Wells pitched a season-best 7.0 innings, allowing only four batters to reach base.
Kane County Cougars (10-13)
Dan Vogelbach hit a walk-off single in the 10th inning, giving Kane County a 5-4 victory over Bowling Green in the opener of a three-game set.
- Vogelbach (.309) extended his hitting streak to five games (.400/8-for-20) with the 10th-inning RBI single (1-for-5, 2 RBI).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.254) recorded his second-consecutive, multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a double (3), a stolen base (5) and two runs scored.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.244) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (4) and a run scored.
- RHP Pierce Johnson pitched into the seventh inning for the first time this season. He has struck out 25 while walking seven in five starts (24.2 IP).