Cubs minor league recap: 5/2/13
Smokies third baseman Christian Villanueva snapped a four-game hitless run Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee and Daytona both captured a win with offensive outbursts Thursday while inclement weather forced Iowa and Kane County to reschedule their matchups. The Cougars will face Bowling Green in a doubleheader this afternoon, but the I-Cubs postponed their make-up for June 8, when they host another series with Round Rock. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Tennessee Smokies (15-11)
Tennessee recorded its second shutout in three games, blanking host Mississippi 7-0 in the second of a five-game set.
- RHP Dallas Beeler has tossed five-consecutive quality starts and has not allowed a run in his last two (13.2 IP).
- CF Rubi Silva (.318) went 3-for-4 with a walk, a triple (3) and two runs scored. He reached base a season-high four times.
- C Rafael Lopez (.214) hit his first home run of the season in the eighth inning. He went 1-for-3 with two walks, the homer, two runs scored and a RBI (7).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.211) snapped a four-game, hitless skid, going 2-for-5 with a stolen base (3), a run scored and a RBI (16).
- 2B Ryan Torreyes (.333) recorded his fourth multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-5 with a double (3) and a run scored.
Daytona Cubs (15-12)
Daytona defeated Lakeland 6-2, extending its season-best winning streak to five games. The two teams combined for 20 singles and three extra-base hits.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.309) extended his hitting streak to eight games (.483/14-for-29) with a second-inning RBI single.
- DH Stephen Bruno (.362) went 2-for-4 with a double (8), two runs scored and a RBI (7).
- 2B Anthony Giansanti (.333) recorded his second-consecutive, multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a RBI (4).
- LF John Andreoli (.323) stole a base (9), scored a run and extended his hitting streak to five games (.333/7-for-21).
- RHP David Cales (1.0 IP, H, BB, K) hasn’t been scored upon in 6.0 innings this season (four appearances).
- LHP Austin Kirk earned his fourth victory, tied for the most wins in the Florida State League. He is the only pitcher in the Cubs organization with four wins.