Cubs minor league recap: 5/5/13
Josh Vitters recorded two multi-hit games Sunday with the I-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Daytona and Tennessee both tallied a loss Sunday, Iowa split its doubleheader while Kane County captured a six-game win streak. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (10-17)
Game 1: Iowa used a three-run fourth inning to beat visiting Oklahoma City, 5-2.
- DH Josh Vitters (.250 AVG) clubbed his first home run of the season, a two-run shot in the fourth inning. He finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored, the home run and two RBI (2).
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.414) recorded his 12th multi-hit game of the campaign, going 2-for-2 with a walk, a run scored, two doubles (9) and one stolen base (6).
- RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (0.00 ERA) tossed 1.0 scoreless inning of relief in his first game with Iowa as part of a rehabilitation assignment. He struck out two and walked one while throwing 21 pitches (11 strikes).
- RHP Esmailin Caridad (2-1, 7.71) picked up his second win of the season, tossing 1.0 scoreless inning of relief while fanning one.
Game 2: Iowa couldn’t complete the doubleheader sweep, dropping a 4-3, 10-inning decision to Oklahoma City.
- 3B Josh Vitters (.385) registered his second multi-hit game of the day, going 3-for-5.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.418) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk and a RBI (11). He’s hit safely in 13 of his last 14 contests.
- RHP Yoanner Negrin (2.70) struck out three batters in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (15-14)
Tennessee suffered its second-straight shutout and the fourth in its last seven games, falling 6-0 at Mississippi.
- LF Matt Szczur (.259) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk and a stolen base (9).
- LHP Zach Rosscup (1.46) worked a spotless seventh inning while fanning one. He owns a 1.23 ERA (ER/7.1 IP) in his last six appearances.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (2.31) struck out two in 1.0 scoreless inning of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .150 batting average (3-for-20).
Daytona Cubs (16-13)
St. Lucie pinch-hitter Matt Reynolds delivered a walk-off infield single with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat Daytona, 1-0.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.314) extended his hitting streak to 10 games, going 1-for-3 with a stolen base (2). He’s hitting .459 (17-for-37) with eight RBI during the streak.
- LF John Andreoli (.337) went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to seven games. He owns a .369 batting average (31-for-84) against right-handed pitchers this season.
- RHP Yeiper Castillo extended his scoreless-innings streak to 15. The righty has fanned 21 hitters during the streak.
Kane County Cougars (14-13)
Kane County extended its winning streak to six games with a 2-0 shutout of visiting Dayton.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.263) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (7).
- CF Oliver Zapata (.280) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 2-for-3 with a RBI (14). He’s hitting .391 (9-for-23) during the streak.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.301) recorded his second-straight, multi-walk game, going 1-for-2 with a double (2), a RBI (18) and two walks.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (2.19) tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief, converting his second save of the campaign.