Cubs minor league recap: 5/8/13
Rafael Lopez continued a six-game hitting streak Wednesday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee, Daytona and Kane County all fell short Wednesday while offensive outbursts led to Iowa’s victory. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (12-18)
Iowa collected 16 hits, defeating host Colorado Spring, 8-6.
- SS Alberto Gonzalez (.267) reached base five times, going 4-for-5 with a walk, a double (1), a run and a RBI (3).
- 1B Brad Nelson (.260) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (5), two runs scored and a RBI (20).
- C J.C. Boscan (.344) reached base four times, going 3-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- RF Brian Bogusevic (2-for-5, BB, 2B, HR, 2 R, RBI) and LF Darnell McDonald (2-for-4, BB, R, 2 RBI, SB) added two hits apiece.
- RHP Esmailin Caridad (3-1, 6.59) earned the win in relief, walking one and fanning one in two scoreless innings.
- RHP Blake Parker (2.19) converted his fourth save, walking one and fanning one in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (15-16)
Tennessee dropped a 12-11, 14-inning slugfest to visiting Birmingham. The teams combined for 23 runs and 30 hits.
- C Rafael Lopez (.257) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 3-for-5 with two walks, a double (6), two runs scored and a RBI (8).
- CF Matt Szczur (.256) went 2-for-7 with a run scored.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.239) reached base four times, going 2-for-5 with two walks, a double (4), two runs scored and a RBI (15).
- RF Rubi Silva (.292) was 2-for-7 with a homer, a run scored and three RBI (16).
- 1B Tim Torres (.267) was 2-for-7 with a homer, two runs scored and two RBI (2).
- RHP Kyuji Fujikawa (0.00) allowed one hit in two scoreless innings of relief (16 pitches, 10 strikes, 6 batters faced).
Daytona Cubs (16-16)
Daytona lost its fourth game in a row, falling at St. Lucie 6-5 in 10 innings.
- RF Jorge Soler (.289) reached base four times, going 3-for-4 with a walk, two doubles (7), a homer, two runs scored and two RBI (13).
- 3B Tim Saunders (.185) went 2-for-5 with a triple (2) and two runs scored.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.286) reached base twice, going 1-for-4 with a walk, two RBI (28) and a stolen base (2).
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa (2.16) fanned three in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (14-15)
Kane County was blanked 4-0 at Burlington.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.371) recorded his fifth straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-2 with a walk. He has hit safely in six-straight games overall (.565/13-for-23).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.297) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 1-for-4 with a double (4).
- RHP Justin Amlung (3.86) and LHP Matt Iannazzo (3.68) combined for four scoreless innings of relief (1 H, 2 BB).