Cubs minor league recap: 5/9/13
Zach Putnam pitched his fourth straight scoreless game Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa and Tennessee were both defeated Thursday despite offensive success, while Daytona snapped a four-game losing streak. Kane County’s game was postponed due to rain, but will be made up as part of a doubleheader tonight. The rescheduled game marks the Cougars’ 10th postponement this season. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (12-19)
Iowa fell 5-1 at Colorado Springs in the third game of a four-game set.
- RF Darnell McDonald (1-for-1, HR, R, RBI) hit a solo home run in the seventh inning, his second of the season.
- LF Brett Jackson (.235) went 2-for-4 in his first game since April 30.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.270) went 2-for-4 with a double (6). He’s 5-for-9 with three doubles in his last two games.
- RHP Zach Putnam (2 IP, H, K) extended his scoreless streak to four games (5 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (15-17)
Birmingham scored two runs in the ninth inning, defeating Tennessee, 9-7. The Smokies have lost six consecutive games.
- C Rafael Lopez (.257) extended his hitting streak to seven games with a first-inning, two-run homer. He finished 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored.
- 1B Tim Torres (.368) recorded his first three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a double (1) and two runs.
- CF Rubi Silva (.288) went 1-for-5 with two stolen bases (6), a triple (4), a run scored and a RBI (17).
- Tennessee has allowed 51 runs in the past five games, all losses.
Daytona Cubs (17-16)
Daytona snapped a four-game skid with a 4-3 win over first place Dunedin.
- SS Javier Baez (.244) extended his hitting streak to three games (.308/4-for-13), going 2-for-4 with a double (8), a triple (3), a run scored, a RBI (22) and a stolen base (3).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.296) went 2-for-3, recording his team-leading 29th RBI.
- LF John Andreoli (.333) collected his fourth multi-hit effort in the last six games, going 2-for-4 with a triple (5), a run scored and a RBI (14).
- DH Taiwan Easterling (.243) notched two singles in three at-bats.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (IP) picked up the win in his first relief appearance of the season with Daytona.