Cubs minor league recap: 5/12/13
Brett Jackson posted his first three-hit game of the season Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Iowa fell in the ninth inning, Kane County pulled through in extra innings and Tennessee recorded a shutout Sunday. Daytona had the day off and will hit the field tonight, hosting Charlotte. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (13-21)
Reno scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth inning, stunning Iowa, 9-8.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.279) hit his team-leading sixth home run of the campaign. He finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored, the home run and two RBI (22).
- LF Brett Jackson (.259) recorded his first three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored and a double (4).
- CF Dave Sappelt (.174) registered his second straight multi-RBI game, going 1-for-5 with a run scored, a triple (1) and a season-high three RBI (6).
- PH Ian Stewart (.100) went 1-for-1 with a triple (1) and two RBI (6).
- RHP Casey Coleman (3.75) tossed two scoreless innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .143 batting average (3-for-21).
Tennessee Smokies (17-18)
Tennessee won its second game in a row with a 5-0 shutout at Jackson.
- RF Matt Szczur (.287) recorded his fourth straight multi-hit game, going 3-for-5 with a double (3) and a team-high two RBI (17). He’s hitting .474 (9-for-19) with four runs and five RBI in his last four contests.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.244) went 2-for-4 with a double (5). He’s hit safely in four of his last five games.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.239) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 1-for-2 with a run, a double (10) and a RBI (18).
- RHP A.J. Morris (6.92) and LHP Zach Rosscup (1.08) each tossed a scoreless inning of relief, preserving the shutout. Opposing hitters are just 1-for-26 (.038) against Rosscup with runners on base.
Kane County Cougars (17-16)
Clinton 3B Patrick Kivlehan ripped a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning, defeating the Cougars, 7-6.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.317) clubbed a grand slam in the sixth inning. He finished 1-for-5 with four RBI (25).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.229) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, a home run and one RBI (10).
- C Carlos Escobar (.250) and CF Oliver Zapata (.270) recorded two hits apiece.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.288) went 1-for-5 with a run and a RBI (21). He’s hit safely in six of his last seven games.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.361) went 0-for-2 with a run scored and a season-high three walks. He’s reached base safely in his last 11 games.