Cubs minor league recap: 5/13/13
Daytona outfielder Jorge Soler was named the FSL’s Player of the Week. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa and Tennessee captured a win after late offensive outbursts Monday while Daytona and Kane County both fell in a shutout losses. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (14-21)
Iowa used a six-run, sixth inning to roll past Reno, 6-4.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.241) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (3), a home run and a season-high three RBI (6).
- 1B Brad Nelson (.278) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 1-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI (24).
- RHP Esmailin Caridad (5.74) secured his first hold of the season, tossing two scoreless innings of relief. He has not allowed a run in his last three appearances (5 IP).
- RHP Zach Putnam (3.52) converted his second save with a scoreless ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (18-18)
Tennessee scored four runs in the top of the ninth inning, stunning Jackson, 6-4.
- RF Matt Szczur (.291) recorded his fifth-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a double (4), a RBI (18) and a stolen base (13). He’s hitting .458 (11-for-24) with four runs and six RBI in his last five contests.
- C Rafael Lopez (.259) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (8), a home run and one RBI (11).
- CF Rubi Silva (.276) hit his third home run in his last six games, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (6), the home run and two RBI (20).
- RHP Trey McNutt (2-3, 4.50) walked two and struck out three in a scoreless eighth frame, picking up his second win of the campaign.
- RHP Kevin Rhoderick (6.91) converted his first save of the season, fanning two in a perfect ninth inning.
Daytona Cubs (17-17)
Daytona managed just five singles in a 3-0 loss to visiting Charlotte.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.296) recorded his 12th multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-4.
- DH Zeke DeVoss (.211) went 2-for-4, snapping a three-game hitless skid.
- OF Jorge Soler (0-for-3, BB, SB) was named Florida State League Player of the Week for the week ending May 12. In four games during the week, he went 7-for-15 (.467) with three doubles, a triple, two home runs, four RBI and five runs scored. He has reached base in 10 consecutive games.
- LHP Frank Del Valle (1.93) struck out two hitters in a scoreless seventh inning. The southpaw is holding opponents to a .158 batting average (3-for-19) with runners in scoring position.
Kane County Cougars (17-17)
Kane County finished its six-game road trip with a 4-0 loss to Clinton. The Cougars went 3-3 on the trip.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.236) went 2-for-4 with a stolen base (4).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.295) went 2-for-4, hitting safely in seven of his last eight games.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.230) recorded one of Kane County’s two extra-base hits, going 1-for-4 with his sixth double.
- LHP Jeffry Antigua (3.57) struck out five in 2.0-scoreless innings of relief.