Cubs minor league recap: 5/14/13
Matt Szczur has boosted his batting average 46 points in six games. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa, Daytona and Kane County all collected a loss Tuesday while Tennessee’s 10th inning victory marked a four-game win streak. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (14-22).
Reno used a 19-hit attack to defeat visiting Iowa, 11-1.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.286 AVG) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 2-for-4 with a double (7) and a RBI (25).
- RF Brian Bogusevic (.373) recorded his 15th multi-hit game of the campaign, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (12). He’s sporting a .323 batting average (10-for-31) with nine RBI with runners in scoring position.
- 3B Ian Stewart (.113) went 1-for-3 with a walk and his second double of the season.
- LHP Hisanori Takahashi (5.00 ERA) worked a scoreless eighth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (19-18)
Tennessee extended its winning streak to four games with a 3-2, 10-inning victory over Jackson.
- RF Matt Szczur (.302) recorded his sixth-straight, multi-hit game, going 3-for-5. He’s hitting .483 (14-for-29) with four runs and six RBI in his last six contests, raising his batting average by 46 points.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.250) extended his hitting streak to seven games with a fifth-inning, solo homer. He’s batting .440 (11-for-25) with four doubles, a home run and three RBI during the streak.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.236) recorded his sixth multi-RBI game of the season, going 1-for-5 with two RBI (18).
- LHP Zach Rosscup (1-0, 1.53) picked up his first win, despite blowing the save in the ninth inning (IP, 2 H, R, BB, 2 K).
- RHP Frank Batista (2.76) converted his fourth save of the campaign with a scoreless 10th frame. He’s holding right-handed batters to a .219 average (7-for-32).
Daytona Cubs (17-18)
Daytona was held to just four hits in a 4-2 loss to visiting Charlotte.
- C Chad Noble (.237) snapped a four-game hitless skid, going 1-for-3 with a RBI (5).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.287) recorded Daytona’s lone extra-base hit, going 1-for-3 with his fifth double of the season.
- RHP Austin Reed (6.75) tossed two scoreless innings of relief. He has not allowed a run in his last five appearances (8 IP).
- Yesterday, OF Jorge Soler (0-for-3, RBI) was named Florida State League Player of the Week for the week ending May 12. In four games during the week, he went 7-for-15 (.467) with three doubles, a triple, two home runs, four RBI and five runs scored.
Kane County Cougars (17-18)
Kane County dropped its third-straight game, falling to Peoria, 8-4.
- C Willson Contreras (.284) went 2-f0r-2 with a home run, a run scored, one RBI (16) and a stolen base (4).
- LF Rock Shoulders (.315) registered his eighth multi-RBI game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a double (10) and two RBI (27).
- 2B Gioksar Amaya (.240) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and a run scored.