Cubs minor league recap: 5/15/13
Javier Baez has hit safely in five of the last six games for the D-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Tennessee and Daytona were both unable to overcome sizable run deficits, Kane County snapped a three-game skid with a shutout victory Wednesday. Iowa had the day off, but will return to the field tonight against Tuscon with RHP Matt Garza on the mound for his fourth rehabilitation start. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s games:
Tennessee Smokies (19-19)
Tennessee had its four-game winning streak snapped with an 8-4 loss at Jackson.
- RF Matt Szczur (.301) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 1-for-4 with his third stolen base of the season. He’s hitting .455 (15-for-33) with four runs and six RBI during the streak, raising his batting average by 45 points.
- C Jair Fernandez (.267) clubbed his first home run of the campaign. He finished 2-for-3 with a walk, the home run, two RBI (8) and one stolen base (1).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.250) went 1-for-4 with a RBI (20), extending his hitting streak to eight games. He’s hitting .414 (12-for-29) with four doubles, a home run and four RBI during the stretch.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.245) went 2-for-3 with a run scored. He’s hitting safely in four of five games.
Daytona Cubs (17-19)
Charlotte used a 15-hit attack to defeat Daytona, 7-1. The Cubs have dropped three-straight games and seven of eight.
- LF John Andreoli (.323) went 1-for-3 with a walk. He is hitting .361 (35-for-97) with five triples and 14 RBI against right-handed pitchers.
- SS Javier Baez (.238) went 1-for-4 and has hit safely in five of six games.
- LHP Sheldon McDonald (3.00) tossed two scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last four appearances (6 IP).
Kane County Cougars (18-18)
Kane County snapped its three-game skid, blanking Peoria 4-0.
- C Willson Contreras (.294) recorded his second-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored, a triple and two RBI (18).
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.360) and 1B Dan Vogelbach (.292) recorded two hits apiece.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.248) went 2-for-3 with a RBI (11).
- RHP Taylor Scott tossed a season-high 7.1 innings, earning his second win of the campaign. He owns a 1.47 ERA (3 ER/18.1 IP) in three May starts after posting a 4.05 ERA (9 ER/20 IP) in four April starts.
- LHP Nathan Dorris (1.69) hurled 1.2 scoreless innings of relief, converting his third save.