Cubs minor league recap: 5/16/13
Jonathan Mota claimed his fifth two-hit game of the season Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa and Tennessee both tallied a win Thursday, while Kane County split its doubleheader and Daytona continued to struggle in its fourth-straight loss. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (15-22)
Matt Garza and Brooks Raley combined on a four-hitter in a 1-0 victory vs. Tucson.
- RHP Matt Garza threw 75 pitches, 53 for strikes, in his fourth rehab start. He faced twenty batters, allowing two singles while striking out six.
- LHP Brooks Raley walked one and allowed two hits in a three scoreless innings of relief, converting his first save.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.254) went 1-for-2 with a stolen base (3) and knocked in the game’s only run with a sacrifice fly in the second inning.
- CF Dave Sappelt (.167) scored a run for the fourth consecutive game in a 1-for-4 effort.
Tennessee Smokies (20-19)
The Smokies defeated host Jackson 6-4 behind two home runs from DH Ty Wright.
- DH Ty Wright (.254) hit two-run homers in the first and third innings and collected season-highs in both runs scored (2) and RBI (4).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.252) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He’s hit safely in five of six games.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.238) recorded his fifth two-hit game of the season, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Rafael Lopez (.266) went 2-for-4 with a RBI, extending his hitting streak to four games (.353/6-for-17).
- RHP A.J. Morris (3 IP, 3 K) tossed 3.0-perfect innings, earning his second win of the season.
Daytona Cubs (17-20)
Daytona lost its fourth-consecutive game, falling 12-7 to the Charlotte Stone Crabs.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.298) went 3-for-5 with a double (6), a homer, two runs scored and his team-leading 30th RBI.
- DH Chadd Krist (.500) went 3-for-3 with two doubles (2), a run scored and five RBI.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.287) scored two runs, going 1-for-4 with a walk.
- LF Taiwan Easterling (.234) went 1-for-4 with a RBI (12) and a stolen base (5).
- RHP Hunter Cervenka (IP, H) has not allowed an earned run in his last seven relief appearances (14.2 IP).
Kane County Cougars (19-19)
Game 1: Kane County scored four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to pull away from Peoria, 5-0, in the first game of a doubleheader.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (3-for-4, 2B, R, 3 RBI) recorded a season-high three RBI.
- SS Marco Hernandez (3-for-3, 2 R) collected his third multi-hit effort in the last four games.
- C Willson Contreras (.307) recorded his third-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.254) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and a RBI (9).
Game 2: Peoria scored six runs in the third inning to defeat Kane County, 6-2, in the nightcap.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.271) extended his hitting streak to three games (.333/6-for-9) with a second-inning, two-run homer.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.235) went 2-for-3 with two doubles (12).
- RHP Steve Perakslis (3 IP, 3 H, 2 K) threw a season-high 3.0 innings.
- Kane County committed six errors leading to six unearned runs.