Cubs minor league recap: 5/19/13
Nick Struck captured his second victory of the season Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa held off a short-lived comeback attempt, Daytona battled back to grab a win, Kane County’s late push fell short and Tennessee was rained out. Here are some highlights from Sunday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (16-24)
Iowa led 7-2 after five innings and held on for a 7-3 victory over Tucson, splitting the four-game set.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.286) went 2-for-4 with a double (8), a homer (7), two runs and a season-high five RBI (31).
- CF Dave Sappelt (.225) collected his second multi-hit effort in his last three games, going 2-for-4 with two runs.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.284) singled and homered in four at-bats, hitting safely for the eighth time in nine games.
- RHP Nick Struck earned his second consecutive win after starting the season winless in his first five starts.
Daytona Cubs (21-20)
Daytona came from behind to defeat Lakeland 5-4, sweeping the four-game, road series.
- DH Dustin Geiger (.333) blasted a go-ahead, solo home run in the eighth inning, extending his hitting streak to seven games (.536/15-for-28).
- 1B Taylor Davis (.240) collected his first multi-hit game of the season, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- SS Javier Baez (.256) extended his hitting streak to six games (.360/9-for-25), going 1-for-3 with a walk and a run.
- LHP Jeff Lorick (2-0, 0.00) scattered three hits in two scoreless frames, earning the win in relief. He has yet to allow a run in 5.1 innings this season (four appearances).
- RHP Luis Liria (2 IP) converted his first save in his third-straight, scoreless appearance (5 IP).
Kane County Cougars (20-21)
Kane County scored two runs in the top of the ninth inning, tying the game 7-7 at Cedar Rapids, but fell in walk-off fashion in the bottom of the ninth, 8-7.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.343) collected his third, multi-hit effort in his last six games, going 2-for-4 with two runs.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.248) went 2-for-4 with a double (15) and a run scored. He has hit safely in five-straight games (.400/8-for-20).
- LF Rock Shoulders (.300) hit his 10th home run of the season, a two-run shot in the sixth inning.
- SS David Bote (.182) went 1-for-4 with his first home run of the season, a game-tying, two-run blast with two outs in the ninth inning.