Cubs minor league recap: 5/20/13
Christian Villanueva continued his hit streak Monday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee split a doubleheader while Daytona and Kane County were on the losing end of their games Monday. Iowa’s game was rained out and will be made up Tuesday as part of a doubleheader. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Tennessee Smokies (23-20)
Game 1: Tennessee won its fourth straight game, defeating Chattanooga 9-2 in the first game of a doubleheader.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.270) collected his second consecutive three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with two doubles (10), two runs scored and two RBI (22).
- C Rafael Lopez (.275) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, extending his hitting streak to six games (.360/9-for-25).
- RF Rubi Silva (.260) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (21).
- RHP Alberto Cabrera earned his fourth win, tossing a seven-inning complete game. He has allowed only three runs on 10 hits in his last two starts (14 IP).
Game 2: Tennessee could not complete the doubleheader sweep, mustering five hits in a 1-0 setback in the nightcap.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (2-for-3) extended his hitting streak to four games (.438/7-for-16) with a first-inning single.
- LHP Eric Jokisch tossed his sixth quality start in nine games and added a double at the plate (1-for-2).
Daytona Cubs (21-21)
Jupiter broke open a 1-1 tie with a three-run, eighth inning, defeating Daytona 4-1 in the opener of a four-game set.
- SS Javier Baez (.262) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.379/11-for-29), going 2-for-4 with two doubles (11) and a RBI (24).
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.214) went 2-for-3, collecting his second consecutive multi-hit game.
- Prior to the game, 1B Dustin Geiger (0-for-3, BB) was named Florida State League Player of the Week after batting .469 (15-for-32) with two home runs, one triple, seven doubles, seven RBI and six runs scored in eight games.
Kane County Cougars (20-22)
Kane County suffered an 8-7 loss for the second straight day, losing its third game in four tries against Cedar Rapids.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.267) recorded his first four-hit game of the season and his fourth multi-hit game in the last five. He went 4-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI (12), hitting safely in six-straight games (.480/12-for-25).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.260) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two doubles (10) and two runs scored.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach collected two hits and two RBI (25) in five at-bats.