Cubs minor league recap: 5/22/13
Edwin Maysonet was one of three I-Cubs players to blast a homer Wednesday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa and Kane County were unable to recover from sizable deficits Wednesday while Daytona secured its sixth win in its last seven outings. Tennessee had the day off but will take the field tonight, hosting Huntsville. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (18-25)
Las Vegas hit three home runs in the first four innings, defeating Iowa 9-4, snapping the Cubs three-game winning streak.
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.370) homered for the third straight game, extending his hitting streak to four games (.455/5-for-11).
- 2B Edwin Maysonet (.253) went 2-for-5 with a home run, a run scored and a RBI (13).
- LF Dave Sappelt (.286) extended his hitting streak to four games (.538/7-for-13), going 2-for-3 with a walk.
- RHP Casey Coleman (3 IP, 2 H, BB, 2 K) pitched a season-high three innings, allowing no runs.
Daytona Cubs (23-21)
Daytona led 6-1 after three innings, cruising to an 8-4 victory at Jupiter, the Cubs’ sixth win in their last seven games.
- LF John Andreoli (.296) went 3-for-5 with two runs scored. He has collected at least three hits in five games this season.
- SS Javier Baez (.266) extended his hitting streak to nine games (.368/14-for-38), going 1-for-5 with a double (12), two runs scored and a RBI (25).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.319) recorded his seventh multi-hit game of the month, going 2-for-5 with two RBI (39). He leads the Florida State League with 39 RBI.
- Austin Kirk earned his fifth win of the season, tops in the Cubs organization.
Kane County Cougars (20-23)
Kane County collected 10 hits, but mustered only two runs in a 9-2 setback at Peoria.
- CF Albert Almora (.750) went 3-for-4 with a double (1), a run scored and a RBI (1) in his first game of the season.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.266) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.448/13-for-29), going 1-for-4.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.259) went 1-for-4 with a triple (4) and a run scored.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.285) doubled and knocked in a run in four at-bats.