Cubs Minor league recap: 5/27/13
Brian Schlitter made his first appearance for the I-Cubs Sunday after starting the season with Tennessee. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Iowa’s five-game winning streak was snapped after an early setback Monday, Tennessee and Kane County both rallied late for comeback victories. Daytona had the day off but will be back on the field tonight against visiting Tampa. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (23-26)
Iowa was victimized by a four-run, third inning in a 4-3 loss to visiting Oklahoma City. The loss snapped Iowa’s five-game winning streak.
- RF Brian Bogusevic (.369) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks, a double (13) and two runs scored.
- 1B Brent Lillibridge (.264) blasted his third home run of the season, a fifth-inning solo shot.
- LF Darnell McDonald (.202) went 0-for-1 with two walks, a stolen base (5) and a RBI (12).
- RHP Brian Schlitter (2 IP, 2 H, 3 K) made his first appearance for Iowa after allowing only two earned runs in 21.2 innings for Double-A Tennessee to begin the season.
Tennessee Smokies (26-23)
Tennessee rallied for a run in the seventh inning and two in the eighth to defeat Huntsville, 8-6, in the final game of a five-game series.
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.236) snapped a five-game hitless skid, going 2-for-5 with a home run, a run scored and three RBI (14).
- LF Ty Wright (.247) went 2-for-4 with a double (7) and two runs scored.
- C Chad Noble (.286) collected his first hits of the season with Tennessee after beginning the season at Daytona. He went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (1) and a run scored.
- RHP Tony Zych (2 IP, H, K) tossed two scoreless innings, earning the win in relief.
Kane County Cougars (24-25)
Kane County tallied five runs in the eighth inning, surging past visiting Beloit, 8-4. The Cougars have won four of their last five games.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.292) went 3-for-5 with a home run, two runs scored and two RBI (32).
- RF-CF Oliver Zapata (.265) extended his hitting streak to nine games (.333/12-for-36), going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- LF Pin-Chieh Chen (.238) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and two RBI (13).
- RHP Steve Perakslis (3 IP, H, R, BB, 3 K) earned his first victory of the season, allowing no earned runs in three innings of relief.