Cubs minor league recap: 5/29/13
Casey Coleman has recorded scoreless appearances in his last three outings. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa’s comeback attempt fell short, Tennessee three-game winnings streak was snapped and Kane County struggled at the plate, though Daytona captured its fourth shutout win of the season. Despite the scoreboard setbacks, here are some highlights from Wednesday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (24-27)
Iowa put the go-ahead run on base in the ninth inning, but was unable to complete the comeback bid, falling 4-3 at Nashville.
- RF Brian Bogusevic (.358) went 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored. He ranks second in the Pacific Coast League in on-base percentage (.459) and sixth in batting average (.358/59-for-165).
- C J.C. Boscan (.296) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- RHP Casey Coleman (3 IP, 2 BB, 2 K) has recorded three straight, scoreless appearances (8.2 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (27-24)
Tennessee’s three-game winning streak was snapped in a 6-3 loss at first place Birmingham.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.280) collected his fourth, three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a triple (1), extending his hitting streak to eight games (.333/10-for-30).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.254) went 1-for-4 with a double (17), a run scored and two RBI (27).
- RHP A.J. Morris (3.1 IP, 3 H, R, 5 K) recorded season highs in innings pitched and strikeouts.
Daytona Cubs (26-24)
Daytona collected its fourth shutout of the season, blanking Tampa 3-0.
- LF John Andreoli (.317) extended his hitting streak to eight games (.444/16-for-36), going 2-for-3 with a double (6), a run scored and a RBI (18).
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.228) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.311) collected his Florida State League-leading 43rd RBI, finishing 1-for-3.
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (3 IP, H, BB, 5 K) converted his second save of the season, tying a season-high with five strikeouts.
Kane County Cougars (24-27)
Kane County mustered only five hits in a 2-1 setback at Quad Cities.
- DH Marco Hernandez (.255) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Carlos Escobar (.217) went 2-for-4 with a ninth-inning RBI single.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.263) collected two walks in four plate appearances. He has walked six times in the last four games.
- On Tuesday, OF Albert Almora was named Midwest League Player of the Week for the week of May 20-26 after batting .538 (14-for-26) with five doubles. He has recorded multi-hit efforts in four of his first seven games.