Cubs minor league recap: 5/30/13
Alberto Cabrera has captured three quality starts in his last four appearances while also leading the Smokies in strikeouts. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa and Daytona both struggled in setbacks Thursday while Tennessee continued its hot streak with its fourth win in five consecutive outings. Kane County’s game at Quad Cities was cancelled due to unplayable field conditions, and the match will not be rescheduled. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (24-28)
Iowa dropped its second consecutive game on the road, falling 6-1 to host Nashville.
- RF Brian Bogusevic (.361) went 1-for-1 with a RBI (20). He ranks second in the Pacific Coast League in on-base percentage (.462) and fourth in batting average (.361/60-for-166).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.229) extended his hitting streak to three games (.286/4-for-14), going 2-for-5 with a stolen base (5).
- RHP Blake Parker allowed one hit and struck out three batters in a scoreless ninth frame. He has a 2.04 ERA (4 ER/17.2 IP) in 16 relief appearances.
Tennessee Smokies (28-24)
Tennessee continued its hot streak, defeating first-place Birmingham, 5-1. The Smokies have won four of their last five games.
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.343) extended his hitting streak to four games (.385/5-for-13), going 2-for-4 with two doubles (5) and two runs scored.
- DH Ty Wright (.250) went 2-for-4 with two RBI (15).
- CF Matt Szczur (.286) recorded his 10th multi-hit game of May, finishing 2-for-4 with a walk, a triple (2) and run scored.
- C Chad Noble (.357) collected his second two-hit game in three days and has hit safely in all three contests (.500/5-for-10). He picked up his first two RBI with the Smokies this season (5 games).
- RF Rubi Silva (.271) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Albert Cabrera recorded his third quality start in his last four appearances and leads the team with 66 strikeouts in 65.2 IP.
Daytona Cubs (26-25)
Daytona mustered only three hits in a 5-4 setback at home vs. Tampa.
- DH Ben Carhart (.262) went 1-for-4 with a home run, run scored and two RBI (25). He has recorded a base hit in seven of his last nine games.
- SS Javier Baez (.264) homered for the second time in three games, finishing 1-for-4 with a run scored and RBI (29).
- 3B Tim Saunders (.178) went 1-for-3 with a run scored, RBI (10) and stolen base (15). His 15 stolen bases rank fifth in the Florida State League, tied with teammate John Andreoli.