Cubs minor league recap: 6/2/13
Jorge Soler has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games with the D-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Kane County broke a four-game skid and Daytona secured a two-game win streak while Iowa continued to struggle Sunday. Tennessee was unable to play due to inclement weather, but will make up their game against Jackson in a doubleheader tonight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (24-31)
Iowa dropped its fifth straight game, falling to visiting New Orleans, 5-3.
- CF Dave Sappelt (.276) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a stolen base (1) and an outfield assist.
- 1B Brent Lillibridge (.282) went 1-for-4 with a double (5) and a RBI (8).
- RHP Michael Bowden (0.00) scattered a hit and a walk while fanning three in 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Daytona Cubs (28-26)
Daytona won its second game in a row, blanking host Brevard County 5-0 in a seven-inning, rain-shortened affair.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.275) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a team-high two runs scored.
- SS Javier Baez (.281) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (36).
- RF Jorge Soler (.294) went 1-for-4 with two RBI (30). He has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games.
Kayne County (25-29)
Kane County ended its four-game skid, walking off with a 3-2, 10-inning victory over visiting Cedar Rapids.
- CF Albert Almora (.475) recorded his sixth multi-hit outing in his first 10 games, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a double (6) and a run scored.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.259) recorded his second-straight, multi-hit game, going 3-for-5.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.283) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a double (11), a homer, two runs scored and a RBI (37).
- RHP Eddie Orozco (3-3, 4.58) earned the win in relief, fanning one in a scoreless 10th frame.