Cubs minor league recap: 6/3/13
Steve Clevenger recorded three RBI in the first game of his rehabilitation with Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa and Daytona both fell short Monday while Tennessee swept a doubleheader match and Kane County’s offensive outburst demolished an early setback. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (24-32)
New Orleans scored five runs in the 13th inning, sending Iowa to their sixth straight loss, 10-5.
- CF Brett Jackson (.245) collected his first four-hit game of the season, going 4-for-6 with a home run, two runs scored and two RBI (16).
- 1B Brad Nelson (.278) went 2-for-5 with a double (10).
- C Steve Clevenger (.333) went 1-for-3 with a double (1) and three RBI (3) in the first game of his rehab assignment.
- LHP Hisanori Takahashi (3 IP, H, 5 K) recorded season-highs in innings pitched and strikeouts.
Tennessee Smokies (30-26)
Game 1: Kyle Hendricks threw a seven-inning, complete-game shutout as the Smokies defeated Jackson 2-0 in the first game of a doubleheader.
- DH Arismendy Alcantara (.282) went 1-for-3 with a RBI (29). He has hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks tossed his fifth consecutive quality start and earned his sixth win.
Game 2: Tennessee reached base 13 times in six innings, defeating Jackson 7-1 in the nightcap.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.265) extended his hitting streak to four games (.467/7-for-15), going 2-for-4 with a home run, a run scored and two RBI (31).
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.242) went 3-for-3 with a double (10), two runs scored and two RBI (17).
- RHP Tony Zych (1.1 IP, H, BB, K) earned his second win in relief.
Daytona Cubs (28-27)
Daytona allowed three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, falling 5-3 at Bradenton.
- C Yaniel Cabezas (.400) went 2-for-3 with two doubles (2), a run scored and a RBI (1).
- 3B Ben Carhart (.275) went 1-for-4 with a RBI (29) and a stolen base (3). He has hit safely in his last five games (.381/8-for-21).
- SS Javier Baez (.280) extended his hitting streak to three games (.571/8-for-14), going 1-for-4 with a double (16) and a run scored.
- RF Jorge Soler (.294) went 1-for-3 with a RBI (31). He has hit safely in 13 of his last 14 games and collected RBI in four straight games.
Kayne County (25-30)
Cedar Rapids scored five runs in back-to-back innings, overcoming a four-run deficit to defeat Kane County, 10-4.
- RF Reggie Golden (.267) collected his second multi-hit game in his last three outings, going 2-for-4 with a walk and his first home run of the season.
- DH Rock Shoulders (.264) went 2-for-4 with a walk and a RBI (36), snapping a five-game hitless skid.
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.263) went 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- CF Albert Almora (.455) went 1-for-4 with a walk, run scored and a stolen base (1). He has hit safely in nine of his first 11 games, including his last three (.500/6-for-12).