Cubs minor league recap: 6/6/13
Eric Jokisch pitched his first complete game Thursday with the Smokies. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Iowa and Kane County suffered shutout losses and Tennessee dropped both games in a doubleheader match Thursday. Daytona was unable to take the field due to rain, and the two-game outing will not be rescheduled. Despite the offensive shortcomings, here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (25-33)
Iowa lost for the seventh time in eight games, falling 6-0 vs. Round Rock.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.236) extended his hitting streak to nine games (.286/12-for-42), going 1-for-4 with a double (9).
- C Steve Clevenger (.400) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a double (3) in the third game of his rehabilitation assignment. He has hit safely in all three games.
Tennessee Smokies (31-28)
Game 1: Tennessee mustered only four hits in a 5-0 setback vs. Jackson in the first game of a doubleheader.
- CF Matt Szczur (.292) went 1-for-4 with a double (13), extending his hitting streak to five games (.438/7-for-16).
- C Chad Noble (.394) went 1-for-3 with a double (3). He has hit safely in four consecutive games (.533/8-for-15).
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.292) reached base safely for the 17th straight game, going 1-for-2 with a walk.
Game 2: Jackson scored two runs in the third inning and held on for a 2-1 victory over the Smokies in the nightcap, sweeping the doubleheader.
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.250) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (11) and a run scored. He has hit safely in six of his last seven games (.385/10-for-26).
- C Rafael Lopez (.266) went 2-for-3 with a RBI (16).
- LHP Eric Jokisch recorded his seventh quality start in 12 appearances, tossing his first complete game (7 IP).
Kane County Cougars (26-31)
Burlington blanked Kane County 9-0 in the middle game of a three-game set.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.267) extended his hitting streak to six games, going 2-for-4.
- CF Albert Almora (.415) went 1-for-4. He has 22 hits in 53 at-bats this season.
- On Wednesday, six Cougars were named to the Midwest League Western Division All-Star team: INF Dan Vogelbach, INF Rock Shoulders, OF Bijan Rademacher, RHP Tayler Scott, RHP Felix Pena and LHP Nathan Dorris. Vogelbach will start at DH. This marks the Cougars’ most mid-season All-Stars since the 2009 squad fielded seven.