Cubs minor league recap: 6/9/13
I-Cubs third baseman Junior Lake recorded his second-straight, three-hit outing Sunday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
While Kane County was unable to overcome an early run deficit Sunday, Iowa and Tennessee picked up a win and Daytona swept its doubleheader. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (28-34)
Iowa won its third straight game, defeating visiting Round Rock, 10-7.
- DH Brad Nelson (.277) recorded his second multi-homer game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk, three runs scored, two home runs and a team-high three RBI (39).
- CF Brett Jackson (.236) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a season-high three runs scored, a home run, one RBI (20) and one stolen base (7).
- 3B Junior Lake (.500) registered his second straight, three-hit affair, going 3-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (4) and one RBI (2).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.238) and C Steve Clevenger (.350) added two hits apiece. Clevenger has hit safely in five of his six games as part of a rehabilitation assignment.
- RHP Eduardo Sanchez (6.35) and RHP Michael Bowden (5.06) combined to toss four scoreless innings of relief. Bowden converted his first save of the season.
Tennessee Smokies (32-30)
Tennessee snapped its four-game losing streak, beating host Mobile 5-3 in 11 innings.
- RF Rubi Silva (.262) went 1-for-4 with a home run and one RBI (27). He’s hitting .303 (20-for-66) against southpaws this season.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.226) recorded a team-high three hits, going 3-for-5 with a run scored, a double (6), a home run and one RBI (17).
- LF Ty Wright (.254) went 2-for-2 with a double (8) and one RBI (17).
- RHP Frank Batista (2-2, 1.86) threw a season-high 3.2 innings of relief, allowing one run on four hits while walking two and fanning two.
Daytona Cubs (31-28)
Game 1: Daytona stole six bases in an 8-2 victory vs. Brevard County in the first game of a doubleheader.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.302) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a home run and three RBI (52).
- 2B Tim Saunders (.208) recorded his third-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk, three runs scored, a double (3), one RBI (14) and two stolen bases (19).
- RHP Yao-Lin Wang (2.86) tossed two scoreless innings of relief, preserving the victory.
Game 2: Daytona completed the doubleheader sweep of Brevard County, beating the Manatees 3-2. The Cubs stole 10 bases in the doubleheader.
- LF John Andreoli (.316) recorded his 18th multi-hit game of the campaign, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a stolen base (19).
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.226) went 1-for-2 with a walk, a run scored, a double (4), one RBI (23) and one stolen base (13).
- RHP Eduardo Figueroa (1-3, 5.08) earned his first win of the season, tossing two scoreless innings of relief while fanning four.
Kane County Cougars (28-32)
Cedar Rapids used a four-run, fifth inning to race past the Cougars, 8-4.
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.277) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (13), a home run and two RBI (42).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.258) went 1-for-4, clubbing his second home run of the campaign.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.326) and CF Albert Almora (.433) collected two hits apiece.
- RHP Justin Amlung (4.81) and LHP Nathan Dorris (2.33) combined for 4.0-scoreless innings of relief.