Cubs minor league recap: 6/10/13
Smokies RHP Trey McNutt is holding right-handed hitters to a .220 average. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa captured a four-game win streak and Javier Baez’s home run blasts led Daytona to victory, while Tennessee lost in walk-off fashion and Kane County fell after an early setback. Here are some highlights from Monday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (29-34)
Iowa won its fourth straight game, defeating host Oklahoma City 7-6.
- DH Brad Nelson (.282) recorded his second straight, multi-homer game, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, two home runs and two RBI (41). All 12 of his homers have come against right-handed pitchers (.338/50-for-148).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.242) went 2-for-5 with a double and two RBI (18).
- 3B Junior Lake (.435) went 1-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (5) and one stolen base (3). He’s hit safely in five of his first six games with Iowa.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (2.25) converted his second save despite allowing a run in the ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (32-31)
Tennessee fell in walk-off fashion for the second time in three games, dropping a 4-3 decision at Mobile.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.290) recorded his 17th multi-hit game of the campaign, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Rafael Lopez (.271) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a season-high two doubles (14). He’s hit safely in five of his last six contests.
- RHP Trey McNutt (4.44) struck out two while tossing 1.2 scoreless innings of relief. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .220 batting average (13-for-59) with 14 strikeouts.
Daytona Cubs (32-28)
Javier Baez became the second player in the 94-year history of the Florida State League to hit four home runs in one game, as the Cubs defeated visiting Fort Meyers 9-6.
- Baez (.291) finished 4-for-4 with four runs scored, the four home runs and a career-high seven RBI (44).
- 2B Tim Saunders (.210) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.
- LF John Andreoli (.316) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and one RBI (20). He’s hitting .352 (56-for-159) with 19 RBI against right-handed pitchers.
- LHP Frank Del Valle (2.70) recorded the final two outs, converting his fourth save of the season.
Kane County Cougars (28-33)
Cedar Rapids used a four-run, fifth inning to race past Kane County 6-2.
- 1B Rock Shoulders (.260) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (12).
- LF Oliver Zapata (.270) recorded his third multi-hit game in his last four contests, going 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- LHP Lendy Castillo (7.05) struck out four while allowing a run on three hits in 3.1 innings of relief.