Cubs minor league recap: 6/11/13
Smokies pitcher Kyle Hendricks was named the Southern League’s pitcher of the week. (Photo by Matthew Shalbrack/Tennessee Smokies)
Iowa, Tennessee and Kane County all tallied a loss Tuesday while Daytona rescheduled its game against Fort Myers for a doubleheader tonight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (29-35)
Iowa allowed three unearned runs in an 8-5 loss at Oklahoma City, snapping a four-game winning streak.
- CF Brett Jackson (.236) extended his hitting streak to three games (.333/4-for-12), going 1-for-4 with a walk and a solo home run.
- 3B Ian Stewart (.168) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a homer and two runs scored.
- C Steve Clevenger (.320) went 1-for-5 with a run scored in the seventh game of a rehabilitation assignment. He has hit safely in six of seven games.
Tennessee Smokies (32-32)
Tennessee lost for the sixth time in seven games, falling 3-2 at Mobile.
- CF Matt Szczur (.288) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a RBI (27). He is hitting .325 (13-for-40) with six runs and four RBI in 11 June contests.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.234) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.423/11-for-26), going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Tony Zych (1.1 IP, H, 2 K) recorded his sixth consecutive scoreless relief appearance (8 IP).
- On Monday, RHP Kyle Hendricks was named Southern League Pitcher of the Week for the week of June 3-9. He went 1-0 with a 0.69 ERA (1 ER/13.0 IP) in two starts during the span, allowing 11 hits while striking out 13.
Kane County Cougars (28-34)
Kane County collected 13 hits, but fell to visiting Burlington 7-6. Every starter for the Cougars recorded a base hit.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.278) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (20), a run scored and a RBI (23). He is hitting .429 (18-for-42) with two homers and six RBI in 10 June contests.
- C Willson Contreras (.241) homered for the first time since May 14, going 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored and three RBI (24).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.263) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.360/9-for-25), going 2-for-4. He has 12 multi-hit affairs this season.
- RHP Shawn Camp (IP, H) recorded a scoreless inning of relief in his first rehab outing with Kane County.