Cubs minor league recap: 6/13/13
Steve Clevenger has hit safely in seven of eight rehabilitation games with the I-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Daytona and Kane County both captured wins with sizable leads Thursday while Iowa and Tennessee fell short in narrow setbacks. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action:
Iowa Cubs (30-36)
Iowa rallied from a 8-4 deficit in the eighth inning to tie the game, but fell in walk-off fashion at Oklahoma City, 9-8 in 12 innings.
- DF Dave Sappelt (.246) went 2-for-6 with a double (4), home run, two runs scored and four RBI (21).
- C Steve Clevenger (.333) went 2-for-5 with a double (5), run scored and RBI (5) in the eighth game of his rehabilitation assignment. He has hit safely in seven of eight games (10-for-30).
- SS Donnie Murphy (.262) extended his hitting streak to four games (.368/7-for-19), going 3-for-6 with two RBI (15).
Tennessee Smokies (32-33)
Tennessee lost for the seventh time in eight games, falling 3-2 vs. Mississippi.
- CF Rubi Silva (.262) went 2-for-4 with a double (13).
- PH-LF Matt Szczur (.289) and 3B Jonathan Mota (.228) collected RBI for the Smokies.
- Alberto Cabrera threw seven innings, tying his season-high.
Daytona Cubs (33-30)
Daytona collected 10 hits and five doubles in a 5-1 victory over visiting Fort Myers.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.291) went 2-for-4 with a double (16) and run scored.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.216) collected his fourth multihit outing in his last seven games, going 2-for-3 with a double (4), run scored and stolen base (20).
- DH Chadd Krist went 1-for-4 with a two-run double.
Kane County Cougars (29-34)
Kane County snapped a three-game losing skid, defeating Burlington, 4-1.
- CF Albert Almora (.430) extended his hitting streak to 11 games (.426/20-for-47), going 3-for-4 with a double (8), triple (1), run scored and three RBI (11).
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.327) went 1-for-2 with two walks and two runs scored. He has hit safely in seven straight games (.400/10-for-25).
- Tayler Scott allowed only two hits in a season-long 7.2 innings of work.