Minor League recap: 6/17/13
Jonathan Mota had a pair of hits Monday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa captured a shutout win, and Tennessee came away with a one-run victory Monday. Meanwhile, Daytona and Boise couldn’t get it going in losses, while Kane County had the day off for the All-Star break. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (33-37)
Iowa blanked visiting Omaha 2-0 behind a complete game gem from LHP Chris Rusin. It marks Iowa’s first complete game shutout since Sergio Mitre accomplished the feat on August 13, 2004, against Albuquerque.
- LHP Chris Rusin fanned eight, allowed just five hits and walked one in a complete game victory Monday.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.234) went 1-for-4 with a double (11).
- SS Donnie Murphy (.256) went 1-for-3 with a fifth-inning solo homer.
- RF Brian Bogusevic (.314) went 1-for-3 with an eighth-inning solo homer.
Tennessee Smokies (34-35)
Tennessee finished the first half with a 2-1 victory over visiting Mississippi.
- 1B Jonathan Mota (.253) went 2-for-4.
- RF Anthony Giansanti (.270) was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- C Chad Noble (.319) added two hits, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Frank Batista (1.97) converted his ninth save, allowing one hit while fanning two in a scoreless ninth.
Daytona Cubs (33-31)
Daytona managed just four hits, dropping a 9-2 decision at Clearwater.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.274) went 2-for-4 with a double (17).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.291) was 1-for-4 with a fourth-inning, two-run homer.
- Yesterday, the Florida State League named SS Javier Baez (0-for-3, BB, R, SB) Player of the Week for the week ending June 16. He went 4-for-13 with three walks, four home runs and seven RBI (all 6/10 vs. Fort Myers), and a 1.231 slugging percentage. He also recorded two doubles in the FSL All-Star Game Saturday. It marks Baez’ second FSL Player of the Week award.
Boise Hawks (2-2)
Boise was victimized by a four-run sixth inning, falling to visiting Salem-Keizer 8-6.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.286) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.333) went 2-for-4 with a double (2), a sacrifice fly and a team-high three RBI (7).
- 2B David Bote (.154) reached base twice, going 0-for-2 with two walks, a run scored and an RBI (2).