Minor League recap: 6/18/13
Dave Sappelt keeps rolling at Triple-A Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa held its opponents scoreless, Daytona had a huge offensive output and a few Kane County players performed well in the Midwest League All-Star Game Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (34-37)
Iowa recorded its second consecutive shutout, blanking visiting Nashville 7-0. The I-Cubs have not allowed a run in the last 23 innings.
- RHP Nick Struck earned the win, going 6.2 innings, surrendering three hits and striking out three.
- RF Dave Sappelt (.261) hit safely for the seventh time in eight games, going 3-for-5 with a double (8), a run scored, three RBI (25) and a stolen base (2).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.238) went 2-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored and a stolen base (6).
- CF Brian Bogusevic (.319) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (30).
- C Steve Clevenger (.364) went 1-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI (11) in the 12th game of his rehabilitation assignment. He has scored 12 runs in 12 games at Iowa.
Daytona Cubs (34-31)
Daytona reached base 23 times and blasted two grand slams in a 14-8 victory over host Clearwater. The D-Cubs collected 17 hits, five extra-base hits and walked six times.
- 2B Tim Saunders (.225) went 3-for-5 with a double (5), a grand slam, two runs scored and four RBI (19). He has five multihit games in his last nine contests.
- RF John Andreoli (.325) extended his hitting streak to four games (.471/8-for-17), going 3-for-4 with two walks, two runs scored and two RBI (24).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.294) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and two RBI. He leads the Florida State League with 56 RBI.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.231) went 2-for-6 with a triple (4), two runs scored and an RBI (28).
Kane County (30-36)
Kane County had the day off for the Midwest League All-Star Game in Dayton, Ohio. Six Cougars were named to the Western Division All-Star team: INF Dan Vogelbach, INF Rock Shoulders, OF Bijan Rademacher, RHP Tayler Scott, RHP Felix Pena and LHP Nathan Dorris.
- DH Dan Vogelbach went 2-for-2 with a walk, a double, a run scored and an RBI.
- RHP Tayler Scott (0.2 IP, K) and LHP Nathan Dorris (0.1 IP) each recorded scoreless appearances.
- The East All-Stars won 6-5 over the West All-Stars.
Boise Hawks (2-3)
Boise lost their second in a row to visiting Salem-Keizer, falling 9-2.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.471) went 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored. He has hit safely in four straight games to start the season.
- DH Jose Dore (.400) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and a double (1).
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (2.0 IP, H, R, BB, 2 K) and RHP Carlos Martinez-Pumarino (IP, K) allowed zero earned runs in three innings of relief.