Minor League recap: 6/19/13
Logan Watkins had a big day at the plate for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa split its double-header, Tennessee racked up the runs, Daytona edged Clearwater, and Boise snapped its losing streak Wednesday. Kane County had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (35-38)
Nashville jumped out to a 5-1 lead after three innings and held on for a 5-4 victory over Iowa in game one of the doubleheader.
- 2B Logan Watkins went 3-for-4 with two triples (6) and two runs scored.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.258) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and two RBI (23).
Iowa recorded its third shutout in four games, blanking Nashville 1-0 in the nightcap.
- SS Logan Watkins (.251) extended his hitting streak to four games (.533/8-for-15), going 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- C Steve Clevenger (.370) went 1-for-2 with a walk in the 13th game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- RHP Barret Loux has allowed two earned runs or fewer in six straight appearances (four starts).
Tennessee Smokies (35-35)
Tennessee collected 13 hits in a 7-2 road win over Chattanooga in the first game of the season’s second half.
- 2B Ronald Torreyes (.260) went 3-for-4 with a double (13), a run scored and two RBI (22).
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.264) went 2-for-4 with a home run, a run scored and an RBI (33).
- C Rafael Lopez (.256) went 2-for-4 with two doubles (16) and two runs scored.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera gave up one earned run over six innings, striking out six in the win. He also collected his first multi-RBI game of the season, going 1-for-3 with a double (3), a run scored and two RBI (3).
Daytona Cubs (35-31)
Daytona won its third game in its last four contests, defeating host Clearwater 4-3.
- DH Ben Carhart (.281) extended his hitting streak to four games (.438/7-for-16), going 3-for-3 with a home run, a run scored, an RBI (31) and a stolen base (4).
- CF Pin-Chieh Chen (.600) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI (1) in his first start with Daytona.
- RHP P.J. Francescon has a 2-1 record with a 3.18 ERA (6 ER/17 IP) in his last three starts.
Boise Hawks (3-3)
Boise allowed only three hits in a 5-1 victory over Salem-Keizer, snapping a two-game losing skid.
- CF Shawon Dunston (.450) went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored. He has hit safely in five straight games.
- LF Jose Dore (.375) went 1-for-3 with a double (2) and two RBI (2).
- RHP James Pugliese has allowed one run on six hits in 10 IP this season.