Minor League recap: 6/20/13
Tony Zych continues an impressive streak out of the bullpen. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all captured victories in impressive fashion, but Kane County fell and the Rookie League Mesa Cubs opened the season with a loss Thursday. Boise was rained out and the game will be made up as part of a doubleheader Saturday. Here are some highlights from Thursday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (36-38)
Iowa moved into sole possession of first place with a 6-4 victory over visiting Nashville.
- RF Brian Bogusevic (.326) recorded a season-high four hits, going 4-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored, a double (14) and a RBI (31).
- 3B Junior Lake (.377) and SS Donnie Murphy (.269) registered three hits apiece. Lake has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games.
- 1B Steve Clevenger (.340) went 0-for-4 with a walk and a run scored in the 14th game of his rehabilitation assignment.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.54) tossed a scoreless ninth frame, converting his fifth save of the campaign.
Tennessee Smokies (2-0, second half)
Tennessee won its third straight game, beating host Chattanooga 3-2.
- Austin Kirk gave up one hit in 5.2 innings to earn the win. He struck out eight.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.283) went 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and a triple (2).
- C Chad Noble (.314) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a double (4).
- RHP Tony Zych (2.97) tossed 1.1-scoreless innings of relief, extending his scoreless innings streak to 11.1.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.18) converted his 10th save despite allowing one run on three hits in the ninth inning.
Daytona Cubs (1-0, second half)
Daytona began the second half with a 4-0 shutout of visiting Dunedin.
- RHP Matt Loosen surrendered four hits over six innings, allowing no runs and striking out eight to get the win.
- DH Javier Baez (.276) went 2-for-4 with a run scored, a home run and one RBI (50).
- 3B Ben Carhart (.286) was 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and a double (19).
- 2B Wes Darvill (.230) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks.
- LHP Jeffrey Lorick (2.16) tossed three scoreless innings of relief, converting his first save.
Kane County Cougars (0-1, second half)
Despite collecting 14 hits, Kane County dropped its first game of the second half, falling at Quad Cities 5-3.
- LF Oliver Zapata (.271) reached base four times, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a triple (4), a run and two RBI (27).
- 1B Dan Vogelbach (.267) went 2-for-5 with a double (14).
- DH Rock Shoulders (.269) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks, a double (14) and a run scored.
- SS Marco Hernandez (.257) went 2-for-5 with a double (9) and a run scored.
Mesa Cubs (0-1)
Mesa dropped its season opener, falling to the visiting AZL Angels 1-0.
- RF Jeff Baez (.333) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- 1B Xavier Batista (.333) also went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- SS Giuseppe Papaccio (.333) reached base twice as well, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (IP, H, 3 K), LHP Carlos Rodriguez (2.0 IP, BB, 2 K) and LHP David Villegas (IP) combined for five scoreless innings of relief.