Minor League Recap: 6/23/13
Javier Baez filled the stat sheet with a double, a run, an RBI, and a stolen base. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Cubs minor league system had a rough day Sunday, as Iowa, Tennessee, Kane County and Boise all ended up on the wrong side of the ledger. The only affiliate to notch a win was the Single-A Daytona team, which kicked off the season’s second half on a hot streak. Here are some highlights from Sunday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (38-40)
Iowa was blanked at Memphis 6-0, the I-Cubs second loss in a row.
- SS Tim Torres (.194) went 1-for-3 with a double (2).
- 2B Logan Watkins (1-for-4), RF Dave Sappelt (1-for-4) and PH Donnie Murphy (1-for-1) each collected a single.
- RHP Barret Loux (4.84) scattered two hits and a walk while fanning four in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (2-3, second half)
Tennessee dropped its third game in a row, falling at Chattanooga 5-2.
- CF Matt Szczur (.297) went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- 2B-SS Arismendy Alcantara (.284) was 1-for-4 with a double (17) and a run scored.
- RF Rubi Silva (.273) went 1-for-3 with a sacrifice fly RBI (29) and an outfield assist.
- 1B Justin Bour (.211) was 1-for-4 with a double (4) and an RBI (16).
Daytona Cubs (3-1, second half)
Daytona won its fifth game in the last six contests, grounding the visiting Lakeland Flying Tigers 6-1.
- 3B Ben Carhart (.289) went 3-for-4 with a double (20).
- LF John Andreoli (.315) reached base three times, going 1-for-3 with two walks and two runs scored.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (2-for-4, BB, R), SS Javier Baez (2-for-3, 2B, SF, R, RBI, SB) and 1B Dustin Geiger (2-for-4, 2B, R, 2 RBI) added two hits apiece.
- RHP Austin Reed (6.00) converted his first save, fanning two in 3.0 perfect innings of relief.
Kane County Cougars (0-4, second half)
Kane County dropped to 0-4 after the All-Star break, falling at Quad Cities 6-1.
- C Carlos Escobar (.273) went 1-for-4 with an eighth-inning solo homer.
- LF Reggie Golden (.291) was 1-for-3.
- 2B Brad Zapenas (.200) reached base twice, going 1-for-2 with a walk.
Boise Hawks (4-6)
Boise dropped its third-straight game, falling at Spokane 8-6 despite collecting 14 hits.
- RF Kevin Encarnacion (.406) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (3), a run and an outfield assist.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.273) went 3-for-5 with an RBI (2).
- 2B David Bote (.235) was 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI (4).
Mesa Cubs (1-2)
Mesa had the day off. The Cubs return to action Monday, visiting the AZL Angels.