Minor League recap: 6/24/13
Matt Szczur extended his hitting streak Monday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa, Tennessee and Daytona all claimed victories, while Boise and Mesa dropped their games Monday. Here are highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (39-40)
Iowa plated six eighth-inning runs, roaring past host Memphis 6-1.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.272) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI (28).
- RF-CF Dave Sappelt (.255) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and two RBI (30).
- C Luis Flores (.160) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk, a double (4), a run scored and an RBI (8).
- LHP Brooks Raley gave up four hits and struck out four over seven innings, earning the win.
Tennessee Smokies (3-3)
Tennessee snapped its three-game skid, defeating visiting Jackson 5-1.
- 1B Justin Bour (.227) went 2-for-4 with two homers, two runs scored and four RBI (20).
- SS Elliot Soto (.147) reached base twice, going 1-for-2 with a homer, two runs scored and an RBI (5).
- RF-CF Matt Szczur (.296) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Alberto Cabrera gave up three hits and struck out 13 over eight innings in the win.
Daytona Cubs (4-1)
Daytona won its third straight game and its sixth in the last seven contests, edging visiting Lakeland 6-5 in 12 innings.
- 2B Wes Darvill (.241) went 3-for-6 with a run scored.
- DH John Andreoli (.317) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a double (10), a sacrifice, a run scored and an RBI (25).
- CF Tim Saunders (.226) reached base four times, going 2-for-3 with two walks, a double (7), a sacrifice, two RBI (24) and a stolen base (21).
- RF Pin-Chieh Chen (.353) went 2-for-5 with a run scored, an RBI (2) and a stolen base (2).
- RHP Luis Liria (1-3, 6.26) earned the win in relief, allowing a hit and fanning one in a scoreless 12th frame.
- Yesterday, the Florida State League named RHP Matt Loosen Pitcher of the Week for the week ending June 23. In one start during the week, he tossed six shutout innings, allowing four hits and no walks, while fanning eight batters. He retired the final 10 batters he faced.
Boise Hawks (4-7)
Boise dropped its fourth straight game, falling at Spokane 5-3 in 11 innings.
- DH Jacob Hannemann (.208) went 3-for-6 with two doubles (3) and an RBI (2).
- 3B Dan Lockhart (.242) went 2-for-3.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.209) was 2-for-5 with a double (1) and a team-high two runs scored.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.231) reached base three times, going 1-for-3 with two walks and a run scored.
- Yesterday, the Northwest League named RHP Paul Blackburn Pitcher of the Week for the week of June 14-23. In two starts during the week he was 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 10 innings, allowing one unearned run on four hits and one walk, while fanning 12.
Mesa Cubs (1-3)
Mesa dropped its second game in a row, falling to the host AZL Angels 13-3.
- CF Jeff Baez (.214) went 1-for-3 with a run scored, an RBI (2) and a stolen base (3).
- RF Xavier Batista (.308) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks, a double (2), a run scored and an RBI (2).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.333) was 1-for-3 with a triple (1) and a sacrifice fly RBI (1).