Minor League recap: 6/26/13
Christian Villanueva continued his hot streak Wednesday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee earned a shutout victory, Boise split its doubleheader and Mesa snapped its losing streak, while Kane County’s stretch of poor play continued Wednesday. Iowa had the day off and Daytona was postponed due to rain. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Tennessee Smokies (5-3)
Tennessee won its third straight game, blanking visiting Jackson 6-0.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.257) homered for the second consecutive game, going 2-for-4 with the homer, a run scored and two RBI (37).
- C Rafael Lopez (.253) went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- DH Arismendy Alcantara (.276) went 0-for-4 with a run scored. He was selected to play for the World Team in the 15th annual SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game July 14 at Citi Field in New York as part of Major League Baseball’s All-Star Weekend.
- RHP Kyle Hendricks pitched eight scoreless innings, surrendering five hits and striking out six for his eighth win of the year.
Kane County Cougars (0-6)
Kane County dropped to 0-6 in the second half, falling to visiting Beloit 5-4 despite collecting 13 hits.
- DH Dan Vogelbach (.276) reached base five times, going 4-for-4 with a walk and a double (15).
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.311) went 2-for-5 with an RBI (18).
- 2B Gioskar Amaya (.247) went 2-for-4 with a homer, two runs scored and an RBI (14).
- SS Brad Zapenas (.308) was 2-for-3 with a double (1), a run scored and an RBI (1).
Boise Hawks (5-8)
GM 1: Boise won the opener of a doubleheader, edging visiting Hillsboro 4-3 in walk-off fashion.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.250) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base (1).
- RHP Carlos Martinez-Pumarino (3-0, 1.17) earned the victory in relief, walking one and fanning one in two scoreless innings.
GM 2: Boise committed four errors, dropping the nightcap to visiting Hillsboro 3-2.
- 2B David Bote (.289) went 3-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base (1).
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.227) reached base twice, going 1-for-2 with a walk, a double (4), a run and an RBI (15).
- RHP Tyler Bremer (1.69) fanned five in two perfect innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (2-4)
- SS Giuseppe Papaccio (.412) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, an RBI (2) and a stolen base (1).
- 2B Francisco Sanchez (.250) went 3-for-4 with two doubles (3), a run scored and two RBI (3).
- LHP Augusto Colina (1-0, 5.40) picked up the win in relief, despite allowing two runs (one earned) on a hit and two walks in 1.0 inning.
- RHP Jorge Diaz (9.00) converted his first save, allowing one hit while fanning two in a scoreless ninth frame.
- RHP Erick Leal gave up one hit in five innings of work, striking out seven and walking just one.