Minor League recap: 6/27/13
Dave Sappelt had a solid day at the dish for Iowa. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Iowa, Kane County and Boise all won while Daytona split its doubleheader and Mesa’s bats were kept quiet in a loss Thursday. Tennessee’s matchup was postponed due to unplayable field conditions. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (40-41)
Iowa collected 13 hits in a 4-2 win over host Omaha.
- RF Dave Sappelt (.260) went 3-for-5 with a double (10) and an RBI (31).
- SS Donnie Murphy (.271) went 2-for-5 with a double (10), a homer, two runs scored and two RBI (30).
- CF Jae-Hoon Ha (2-for-5), C J.C. Boscan (2-for-3, BB, 2B) and 1B Tim Torres (2-for-3, BB) added two hits apiece.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.98) converted his sixth save, fanning one in a perfect ninth frame.
Daytona Cubs (6-2)
Game 1: Daytona won its fifth straight, defeating host Tampa 6-1 in the opener of a doubleheader.
- CF Zeke DeVoss (.239) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a double (7) and two runs scored.
- 3B Wes Darvill (.267) went 2-for-3 with a double (5), a triple (2) and a team-high three RBI (9).
- RHP Ben Wells fanned seven and surrendered just one hit over six innings to get the win.
Game 2: Daytona dropped the nightcap, falling at Tampa 3-2 in eight innings.
- RF John Andreoli (.318) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a stolen base (23).
- LF Zeke DeVoss (.245) was 2-for-3 with an RBI (31).
- OF Jorge Soler was selected to play for the World Team in the 15th annual SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game July 14 at Citi Field in New York as part of Major League Baseball’s All-Star Weekend. Soler will miss the game due to a shin injury. SS Javier Baez is one of five finalists eligible for the two remaining spots.
Kane County (1-6)
Kane County overcame a 7-1, fifth-inning deficit, rallying past visiting Beloit 8-7 in 10 innings.
- CF Albert Almora (.366) went 3-for-5 with a double (11), two runs scored and two RBI (16).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.252) went 3-for-5 with a double (10).
- LF Oliver Zapata (.275) reached base four times, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a triple (5), three runs scored and a stolen base (9).
- LHP Jeff Antigua (3-1, 2.45) earned the win in relief, surrendering only a hit and a walk while fanning three in three scoreless innings.
Boise Hawks (6-8)
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.250) went 2-for-4 with a triple (1) and a run scored.
- LF Shawon Dunston (.341) went 2-for-4 with an RBI (5) and a stolen base (2).
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.261) was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- DH Yasiel Balaguert (.239) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks, a homer, three runs scored and two RBI (17).
- RHP Jasvir Rakkar (1-0, 3.00) earned the win in relief, giving up a hit and a walk while fanning two in two scoreless innings.
- RHP Michael Hamann (0.00) converted his third save, allowing one hit in a scoreless ninth frame of relief.
Mesa Cubs (2-5)
- CF Jeff Baez (.318) went 3-for-4 with a stolen base (5).
- RF Rashad Crawford (.136) reached base twice, going 0-for-2 with two walks and two stolen bases (3).
- LHP David Villegas (3.38) allowed one hit while fanning two in 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.