Minor League recap: 6/30/13
Iowa reliever Michael Bowden has been solid for the I-Cubs. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Kane County, Boise and Mesa all picked up victories Sunday, but Iowa’s bats went quiet in a loss and Tennessee fell in extras. Daytona’s game was rained out and will be made up today as part of a doubleheader. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (42-42)
After recording 43 hits in the first three games of the series, Iowa managed just five singles in a 3-0 loss at Omaha.
- DH Ty Wright (.241) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 1-for-3 with a walk.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.264) went 1-for-3 with a walk. He has drawn a free pass in three of his last four games.
- RHP Marcus Hatley (5.52) and RHP Michael Bowden (3.07) combined for two scoreless innings of relief. Bowden has not allowed a run in his last six appearances (8.0 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (6-4)
Tennessee had its four-game winning streak snapped in a 4-3, 10-inning loss at Montgomery.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.277) went 1-for-4 with a walk, a home run and one RBI (36).
- LF John Andreoli (.556) recorded his second straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with two doubles (3).
- CF Matt Szczur (.298) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 1-for-5 with a triple (3) and a run scored. He’s hitting .394 (13-for-33) with three doubles, six runs scored and seven RBI during the streak.
- RHP Frank Batista (2.43) tossed a scoreless inning of relief despite walking three batters. He’s holding right-handed hitters to a .225 batting average (18-for-80).
Kane County Cougars (2-8)
Kane County used a 13-hit attack to defeat host Wisconsin 4-3.
- LF Reggie Golden (.304) hit an eighth-inning solo homer to break a 3-3 tie. He’s hit safely in seven of his last eight games.
- RF Kelvin Encarnacion (.556) recorded his second-straight multihit game, going 3-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (1) and one stolen base (1).
- SS Willson Contreras (.247) and CF Oliver Zapata (.316) recorded two hits apiece.
- RHP Lendy Castillo (1-5, 6.67) tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief, earning his first win of the season.
- RHP Michael Hamann (0.00) converted his first save, recording the final four outs.
Boise Hawks (9-8)
Boise won its fourth straight game with a 6-5 victory over visiting Eugene.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (.271) homered for the second-straight game, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, the home run and a team-high three RBI (22). He’s gone deep in three of his last four games while driving in a run in six of eight (10 total RBI).
- 3B Jordan Hankins (.077) reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and two RBI (2).
- LF Jose Dore (.269) was 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (4).
- LHP Andrew McKirahan (1-0, 0.00) allowed one hit in two scoreless innings of relief, earning his first win.
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (3.38) recorded the final out, converting his first save.
Mesa Cubs (4-5)
Mesa won its second straight game, defeating the host AZL Indians 6-4.
- DH Kevin Brown (.238) went 3-for-4 with an RBI (1) and a stolen base (3).
- 2B Zak Blair (.435) went 2-for-5 with two runs scored, a double (3) and one RBI (6). He’s hit safely in six of his first seven games.
- RHP Jorge Diaz (1-0, 9.53) recorded the victory despite allowing two runs on two hits in 1.2 innings.
- LHP David Villegas (2.45) converted his first save, tossing two scoreless innings of relief.