Minor League recap: 7/1/13
Double-A outfielder Matt Szczur extended his hitting streak to eight games on Monday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Cubs minor league affiliates went 3-2 on Monday, with Iowa, Boise and Mesa all picking up wins. Daytona’s scheduled doubleheader with Clearwater was postponed due to rain. The games have been rescheduled as parts of doubleheaders for Tuesday, August 13, and Thursday, August 15. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (43-42)
Iowa used a four-run, eighth-inning rally to beat visiting Memphis 4-2.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.265) went 1-for-3 with a double (14) and two RBI (48).
- LF Anthony Giansanti (.500) was 1-for-2 with a run scored, a double (1) and two RBI (2) in his Iowa debut.
- RHP Eduardo Sanchez (1-1, 4.50) tossed a scoreless eighth inning to earn his first win of the season. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last seven appearances (10.1 IP).
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.65) converted his eighth save of the season with a scoreless ninth. He’s holding left-handed hitters to a .192 batting average (5-for-26).
Tennessee Smokies (6-5)
Montgomery scored four runs in the sixth inning to race past the Smokies 7-2.
- CF Matt Szczur (.300) extended his hitting streak to eight games, going 2-for-5 with a double (18) and one RBI (37). He’s hitting .395 (15-for-38) with four doubles, six runs scored and eight RBI during the streak.
- C Chad Noble (.281) went 2-for-4 with a run scored. He’s gone 12-for-40 (.300) against right-handed pitchers.
- DH Arismendy Alcantara (.277) was 1-for-3 with a walk and a double (20). His 138 total bases are a team-high.
Kane County Cougars (2-9)
Wisconsin rallied with three runs over the final two innings to beat visiting Kane County 4-3.
- CF Albert Almora (.346) recorded his 13th multihit game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (11).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.258) was 2-for-4 with a run scored and one RBI (23).
- LF Oliver Zapata (.274) went 1-for-3 with a triple (6) and two RBI (34). He has recorded at least one RBI in three straight games (six total).
- RF Kelvin Encarnacion (.462) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 1-for-4 with a triple (1).
Boise Hawks (10-8)
Boise won its fifth straight game with a 3-2 victory over host Salem-Keizer.
- CF Jacob Hannemann (.283) recorded his third straight multihit game, going 2-for-5 with one RBI (3). His two-out RBI single in the ninth inning plated the winning run for Boise.
- 1B Jacob Rogers (.250) went 1-for-4 with a double (1) and two RBI (7). He has driven in a run in three of his last four games (five total).
- 2B Daniel Lockhart (.286) registered a season-high three hits, going 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- RHP Ethan Elias (1-0, 3.12) allowed one run on two hits in 2.0 innings of relief to pick up his first win.
- LHP Matt Iannazzo (3.00) worked a scoreless ninth inning to record his second save in as many nights.
- RF Yasiel Balaguert (0-for-2, R, BB) was honored as the Northwest League Player of the Week for games played between June 24-30. He batted .348 (8-for-23) with three home runs and nine RBI. All three of his home runs either broke a tie or gave Boise the lead. His 22 RBI lead all short-season leagues.
Mesa Cubs (5-5)
Mesa won its third straight game, defeating the visiting AZL Dodgers 10-2.
- 2B Francisco Sanchez (.273) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a triple (1) and a season-high four RBI (8).
- 1B Kelvin Freeman (.077) was 1-for-3 with a run scored and two RBI (2).
- DH Zak Blair (.407) went 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. He has hit safely in seven of his first eight games.
- LHP Anthony Prieto (1-1, 7.11) struck out three while scattering two hits in 3.0 scoreless innings of relief to pick up his first win.