Minor League recap: 7/2/13
Alberto Cabrera and five other Smokies were named to the Southern League All-Star team. (Photo by Stephen Green)
The Cubs minor league affiliates went an impressive 4-1 on Tuesday, with Iowa, Tennessee, Boise and Mesa all picking up wins. Daytona had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (44-42)
Iowa recorded nine extra-base hits in a 6-2 victory over visiting Memphis.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.264) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (11), a home run and two RBI (32).
- 1B Brad Nelson (.266) logged his second-straight multi-RBI game, going 1-for-3 with a home run and two RBI (50).
- 3B Junior Lake (.324) recorded a season high three extra-base hits, going 3-for-4 with two runs scored, adouble (8) and two triples (2).
- LF Ty Wright (.250) was 2-for-4 with a double (4) and two RBI (10). He’s hit safely in four of his last five games.
- RHP Casey Coleman (2.82) and RHP Marcus Hatley (5.17) combined for 2.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- Yesterday, LHP Chris Rusin was named to the Pacific Coast League All-Star Team and was called up to Chicago.
Tennessee Smokies (7-5)
Tennessee outlasted host Montgomery in a 13-inning affair, beating the Biscuits 4-3.
- RF Matt Szczur (.298) extended his hitting streak to nine games, going 1-for-5 with a walk and a stolen base (18). He’s hitting .372 (16-for-43) with four doubles, six runs scored and eight RBI during the streak.
- 3B Christian Villanueva (.248) went 2-for-6 with a double (21), a home run and two RBI (40).
- C Rafael Lopez (.253) clubbed his fifth home run of the season, going 2-for-5 with the homer and two RBI (22).
- RHP Yeiper Castillo (1-2, 4.60) struck out two while tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win.
- Yesterday, six Smokies were named Southern League All-Stars: INF Arismendy Alcantara, INF Christian Villanueva, C Rafael Lopez, OF Matt Szczur, RHP Alberto Cabrera and RHP Kyle Hendricks.
Kane County Cougars (2-10)
Kane County mustered just five hits in a 5-3 loss at Wisconsin. The Cougars have lost four of their last five games.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.247) went 1-for-4 with two runs scored, a home run, two RBI (28) and one stolen base (1).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.258) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 1-for-3 with a walk and one RBI (24).
- CF Albert Almora (.343) went 1-for-4. He’s hitting .464 (13-for-28) against left-handed pitching.
- LHP Sheldon McDonald (0.00) tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief. He hasn’t allowed a run in his first three appearances with the Cougars (7.0 IP).
Boise Hawks (11-8)
Boise won its sixth-straight game with a 10-5 victory over host Salem-Keizer.
- 2B David Bote (1-for-4, BB, 2 R, HR, RBI) and 1B Jacob Rogers (1-for-1, R, HR, 3 RBI) each hit a home run.
- C Lance Rymel (.235) went 1-for-3 with two walks, a season-high three runs scored and two RBI (5).
- 3B Dan Lockhart (.296) logged his second-straight, multihit game, going 2-for-5 with a double (2) and two RBI (5).
- RHP Orbandy Rodriguez (1-2, 6.75) worked 2.0 scoreless innings, earning his first win of the season.
- RHP Tyler Bremer (1.93) recorded the final six outs for his second save.
Mesa Cubs (6-5)
Mesa won its fourth-straight game, defeating the visiting AZL Brewers 6-4.
- SS Giuseppe Papaccio (.313) went 2-for-4 with a double (1) and a career-high three RBI (6).
- LF Kevin Brown (.280) registered his second-straight multihit game, going 2-for-4 with two runs scored and oneRBI (2).
- RHP Marcos Mateo (1-0, 0.00) struck out the side in the fifth inning and recorded the victory.
- RHP Erick Leal (0.75) allowed an unearned run on four hits in 2.0 innings of relief, converting his first save.