Minor League recap: 7/8/13
Justin Bour ripped a home run for Tennessee Monday. (Photo by Rodger Wood)
Strong pitching efforts carried Iowa and Daytona to wins and Boise snapped a losing streak Monday. But Tennessee lost both games of its doubleheader while Kane County was rained out. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (47-45)
Iowa limited New Orleans to four hits in a 5-2 victory on the road.
- LHP Chris Rusin picked up the win, going six innings and surrendering two earned runs.
- C Luis Flores (.187) went 2-for-4 with a double (6) and a third-inning solo home run.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.263) recorded his fourth three-hit game of the campaign, going 3-for-4 with a double (15) and two RBI (53).
- 2B Logan Watkins (.257) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored, two doubles (16) and one RBI (26).
- 3B Junior Lake (.313) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 1-for-4 with an RBI (16). He’s hitting .333 (9-for-27) during the streak.
- RHP Brian Schlitter (1.83) converted his 10th save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
Tennessee Smokies (10-8)
GM 1: Tennessee managed just two hits in a 2-0 loss to Huntsville.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.273) went 1-for-3.
- LF Rubi Silva (.266) was 1-for-2. He’s hitting .291 (25-for-86) with four home runs and 14 RBI against southpaws.
- LHP Zach Rosscup (2.14) and RHP Tony Zych (3.31) combined for two scoreless innings of relief.
GM 2: Huntsville scored three runs in the eighth inning for a 6-3 win, sweeping the doubleheader against the Smokies.
- 1B Justin Bour (.210) was 1-for-3 with a seventh-inning solo home run.
- RF Rubi Silva (.270) extended his hitting streak to three games, going 2-for-3 with a run scored, a double (17) and two stolen bases (10).
- LF John Andreoli (.333) went 1-for-2 with a walk and a triple (1). He’s hit safely in eight of his first 10 games with the Smokies.
- Yesterday, four Smokies were named All-Star starters in the Southern League All-Star Game. OF Matt Szczur, INF Arismendy Alcantara, INF Christian Villanueva and RHP Kyle Hendricks will start for the North Division.
Daytona Cubs (11-5)
Daytona’s Matt Loosen threw a no-hitter in the Cubs 7-0 victory at Dunedin.
- RHP Matt Loosen struck out a season-high nine, recording Daytona’s first nine-inning no-hitter since August 24, 1996, when Kerry Wood, Darold Brown and Brandon Hammack combined to no-hit Vero Beach. Over his last three starts, Loosen is 3-0 with a 0.33 ERA (ER/27.0 IP), allowing just nine hits while striking out 31.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.227) went 1-for-2 with two walks, two runs scored, a home run and two RBI (5).
- SS Elliot Soto (.214) went 2-for-5 with two RBI (2).
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.282) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and one RBI (20).