Minor League recap: 7/10/13
Michael Bowden has impressed in Triple-A. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee swept its doubleheader and Mesa picked up a win but Iowa, Daytona, Kane County and Boise all fell Wednesday. Here are highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (47-47)
Iowa couldn’t overcome an early five-run deficit, falling to host New Orleans 6-5.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.269) recorded his fourth, three-hit game, going 3-for-5 with his team-leading 54th RBI.
- SS Donnie Murphy (.261) went 2-for-5 with a run scored, a double (13) and one RBI (34).
- RF Anthony Giansanti (.529) extended his hitting streak to seven games, going 2-for-4 with a RBI (5). He’s hitting .571 (8-for-14) during the streak.
- RHP’s Esmailin Caridad (5.02) and Michael Bowden (2.41) combined to toss three scoreless innings of relief. Bowden has not allowed a run in his last nine appearances (12.0 IP).
Tennessee Smokies (12-8)
GM 1: Tennessee defeated host Jackson 7-2 in the makeup game from June 28.
- SS Arismendy Alcantara (.283) went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, a double (18) and one RBI (34).
- 1B Justin Bour (.267) reached base four times, going 3-for-3 with a walk, a double (6) and two RBI (25).
- CF Rubi Silva (.271) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and one RBI (30).
- RHP P.J. Francescon (1-0, 2.08) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to earn his first win of the season.
- RHP Carlos Gutierrez (0.00) allowed an unearned run in 2.0 innings to convert his first save.
GM 2: Tennessee scored four runs in the fifth inning to sweep the doubleheader with a 5-2 victory.
- RF Rubi Silva (.278) recorded Tennessee’s lone multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a home run and one RBI (38).
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.275) went 1-for-4 with a fifth-inning, three-run homer.
- RHP Kevin Rhoderick (5.40) recorded the final four outs to convert his third save of the season.
Daytona Cubs (11-7)
Lakeland used a five-run eighth inning to beat visiting Daytona, 7-6.
- 1B Dustin Geiger (.282) was 2-for-4 with a second-inning, solo home run.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.276) went 3-for-4 with a run scored, a double (3), a triple (1) and one RBI (6).
- 2B Brad Zapenas (.500) and SS Elliot Soto (.292) each recorded two hits.
Kane County Cougars (4-14)
Kane County lost its third-straight game, falling at South Bend 7-2.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.248) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a run scored, a home run and two RBI (32).
- CF Albert Almora (.356) extended his hitting streak to four games, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and a double (12).
- SS Marco Hernandez (.261) went 1-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to five games.
Boise Hawks (12-14)
Boise pitchers surrendered eight walks in a 6-5 setback at Vancouver. The Hawks have lost six of their last seven games.
- RF Jose Dore (.200) went 1-for-3 with a first-inning, two-run homer.
- CF Shawon Dunston (.318) recorded his third-straight, multi-hit game, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- SS Daniel Lockhart (.321) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and one RBI (8). He’s hit safely in five of his last six games.
- RHP’s Jasvir Rakkar (3.78) and Tyler Bremer (3.00) combined to toss 2.1 scoreless innings of relief. Rakkar is holding left-handed hitters to a .179 batting average (5-for-28).
Mesa Cubs (8-9)
Mesa snapped its four-game losing skid with a 14-2 rout of the visiting AZL Padres.
- 2B Zak Blair (.333) and RF Yasiel Balaguert (.667) both went 2-for-3 with two walks and three runs scored. Balaguert drove in his first run with Mesa.
- 3B Francisco Sanchez (.232) went 2-for-4 with a walk, three runs scored, a double (5), a triple (2) and one RBI (10).
- C Wilfredo Petit (.103) went 1-for-4 with a season-high four RBI (5).
- DH Xavier Batista (.233) and 1B Kelvin Freeman (.133) drove in two runs apiece.
- RHP Josh Davis (1-0, 0.00) earned his first win of the season with a scoreless inning of relief.