Minor League recap: 7/11/13
Alberto Cabrera had a perfect hitter going through four innings Thursday. (Photo by Stephen Green)
Tennessee, Daytona and Mesa all racked up victories while Iowa, Kane County and Boise were all limited offensively in losses Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s action.
Iowa Cubs (47-48)
Iowa lost its third straight game, falling at home to Albuquerque 4-1.
- 1B Brad Nelson (.268) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a triple (1).
- LF Ty Wright (.275) extended his hitting streak to a season-high nine games, going 1-for-3 with a walk He’s hitting .343 (12-for-35) during the streak.
- RHP’s Marcus Hatley (5.21), Eduardo Sanchez (4.34) and Brian Schlitter (1.74) combined to toss three scoreless innings of relief while allowing just one hit.
Tennessee Smokies (13-8)
Tennessee won its third straight game, beating host Jackson 4-1.
- 2B Arismendy Alcantara (.281) recorded his seventh, three-hit game of the season, going 3-for-4 with a walk, a run scored, two RBI (45) and one stolen base (22).
- 3B Jonathan Mota (.253) went 2-for-3 with a walk, two runs scored and a triple (1).
- RHP Alberto Cabrera earned his team-leading ninth win of the season. Cabrera retired the first 13 hitters of the game, and carried a perfect game into the fifth inning.
- LHP Zach Rosscup (2.08) struck out two in a scoreless ninth inning to convert his third save of the year.
Daytona Cubs (12-7)
Daytona snapped a two-game skid with a 2-1 victory at Lakeland.
- C Taylor Davis (.230) went 2-for-3 with a walk and one RBI (7).
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.273) went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a triple (2).
- RHP Pierce Johnson has allowed just one home run in 22.0 innings of work with Daytona.
- RHP Austin Reed (4.87) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to record his second save of the campaign.
Kane County Cougars (4-15)
Kane County lost its fourth straight game, falling at South Bend 6-1.
- CF Albert Almora (.358) extended his hitting streak to five games, going 2-for-5 with a run and a double (13).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.251) recorded his third-straight multihit game, going 2-for-4.
- 1B Daniel Vogelbach (.276) went 1-for-4 while registering his team-leading 57th RBI.
Boise Hawks (12-15)
Boise mustered just six hits in a 4-0 loss at Vancouver.
- LF Trevor Gretzky (.257) went 2-for-3 with a double (2).
- C Cael Brockmeyer (.250) recorded his first multihit game, going 2-for-3.
- RHP Corbin Hoffner (2.04) and LHP Sam Wilson (0.00) combined to toss three scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (9-9)
Mesa used a four-run, sixth-inning to sneak past the AZL Padres 6-2.
- 2B Zak Blair (.367) went 3-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and two RBI (10).
- LF Rashad Crawford (.216) went 2-for-3 with a walk, three runs scored, two triples (2), one RBI (4) and one stolen base (8).
- 1B Kelvin Freeman (.182) and RF Yasiel Balaguert (.500) each recorded two hits.
- RHP Zak Hermans (1-0, 0.00) struck out three hitters in 2.0-scoreless innings to earn his first save of the season.